Cable Laying Shovel

Onoff

Looking to buy one just to tidy the bottom of a trench. Less than £20 on eBay for a Spear & Jackson / Draper. There's Bulldog ones on there too.

BUT.....I have old "big" shovels and a 9" grinder.

Surely just a case of mark two lines with a Sharpie and chop a big one down with a slitting disc. Heat the edges up with the oxy torch and bend up a bit?

We have three different widths of gardening spade. The narrowest one the "lady spade" does a wonderful job on the building site for just such uses.

My favourite general purpose shovel is now about an inch shorter than when new due to wear, but I like it as it's so light weight. It's like triggers broom, it's on it's second handle.

34 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

"old" shovels will generally be better steel, assuming it is really old, 

FWIW iv got the rest of the spear and jackson range and they have done me well, steer clear of the rough neck and faithful options as they have HUGE welds just where you want to put your lower hand  

Agreed on the older tools.  Even so-called decent brands like Bulldog have become woeful over the past few years if reviews are anything to go by.

I'll vouch for the Roughneck mattock though - my god it's a productive bit of kit.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 21:24, Construction Channel said:

that is cheap. 

I instinctively started making the order up to £50 to get free delivery until i realised i didn't actually need to buy anything xD 

Yup, done that more than once! Gone on a site to buy a small item and come off with the £50+ order :D

• Like 1

Got a gallon of Disclean kicking around somewhere! Yep, big fan of those discs. Haven't used linseed oil since I refinished a gun stock maybe 30 years ago. I went through a phase of trying that, teak oil and I even French polished the stock once!