Speed Surveys

Olly P

We had Outline Plaaning granted in April with attached conditions. To discharge a condition for visibilty splays we have been told by Highways we need a speed survey to reduce the splays. It's on a classified road and in a 30mph zone.  Has anyone any experience of getting such a survey done and did it work on their favour?  

I saw one done and they put signs up saying “speed survey in progress” and everyone slowed down..!!

Depends on what they want though - if it’s a fixed system for a period then it could cost a bit. 

• Like 1

Have their been any nearby planning applications recently?

I got our visibility requirements reduced by pointing out PP was granted a year earlier just down the road with a lesser requirement.

I will add that we have no restrictions. 

But I cut the verges of land that does not belong to me for 100m just to make our vision better, I would not want to scrimp on this for safety reasons 

also I used to visit probably10 properties a week and the amount of poorly planned drive entrances amazed me, if you think you want drive entrance 2.4 m wide make it 3.4 people never think about deliveries and workmen’s vehicles. 

Yes an extra driveway/ access was added he opposite side of the road to our site earlier this year but because of the bend of the road it was easier for them to achieve the 60m splays so no speed survey required. 

I have got rid of all vegetation and strimmer back the verges which we have told them we will maintain but the neighbours wall pushes the splay into the middle of the road and not the Nearside. We can achieve 60m splays in each direction although they don't touch the Nearside verge.

Edited by Olly P

27 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I used to provide the clearance work for a lot of development companies which included the visibility splays

is there a reason you would want to reduce the visibility splay, as I would want them as big as possible. 

Sounds as if the rules require bigger splays than OP can currently provide, so a speed survey will be evidence that the default calc is too stringent for the actual circs.

i had one done for a larger development; it was expensive.

One thing is to know exactly what they want, and what sort of authority has to be provided by your survey.

There also exist databases of previous surveys .. especially if you have requirements relating to flow levels etc.

I wonder if it can now be done using eg LIDAR rather than physical sensors. 

I would find a few surveys done in your area for projects like yours on the Council w/s and have a scoping chat with the people who did them. I would also try to ave a chat with the person at Highways who is handling it.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Sounds as if the rules require bigger splays than OP can currently provide, so a speed survey will be evidence that the default calc is too stringent for the actual circs.

Yes that's correct the default for a 30mph is 60m. However if 85 th percentile data comes back at 30mph or below then it's reduced to 43m. 

We had to have a speed survey done for the two plots we have outline planning for, it had to be done BEFORE they would grant permission, it’s a 60mph rural road, they put these tubes down across the road at two locations for a fortnight although it was meant to be a week, we were given the results although they meant very little to us and the architect even admitted he knew very little about them however they did seem to go in our favour as it was deemed that none of the traffic was actually going at the maximum speed probably because of a hill and two bends, we got the pp as they relaxed the splay.it cost us £500

Edited by Christine Walker
Add information
  • Thanks 1

I think the only report I got back that was bigger than the traffic survey in terms of Appendices was the Ground Conditions one.

Of course, one option is to stuff your neighbours’ mouths with gold, in exchange for eg a triangle of land or limitation on hedge height etc. if the authorities will accept that.

A long term alternative is to campaign for a 20mph limit ?.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Might be worth checking to see if the local authority have done a metrocount on that road recently.  If they have then that will give the number and type of vehicles using the road, together with the speeds.  Someone on your Parish Council should know.  We've just had a couple of metrocounts done in the village, as part of a scheme to look at reducing the existing 30mph speed limit to 20mph, and I don't think they were that expensive (can't have been, as if they were I'd remember it coming up in the meeting where we asked for this work to be done).