Horsebox Glampervan

Just solved the storage/planning/container/summerhouse/studio conundrum with an old wooden horsebox! I guess you lot might think I'm bonkers, but I'm hoping after it's done it's time as a storage facility, it will be a cool camper van 

Horsebox.jpg

• Like 2

I would guess there is a lot of flex in that body, you might need to stiffen it up to make a proper camper out of it.

As long as you are old enough to have a 7.5t licence (or take the test to get one) I can't see a problem.  I am not sure all camp sites will be happy with the size of it though?

Out of interest, what did you pay for it?

On the subject of alternative accomodation, there is a self builder near here living on site in a Yurt.  Aparantly the council tax man has visited and said there is no council tax due for that. 

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I knew a bloke whose father converted horseboxes to campervans.

He must have been good as he was featured in Watchdog.

I am not sure being mentioned on Watchdog is a good thing?

The main problem with horseboxes is that the floors rot out.  The rubber flooring is rarely watertight (often it's just loose laid thick rubber anti shock  mats) and as a consequence the timber underneath just tends to sit saturated with horse pee for long periods of time.  Having slept in the hay loft space of a horsebox a few times at shows (where the horses had the luxury of being in loose boxes) I can say that there is a unique smell that permeates everything inside them.

• Confused 1

It broke down last year as the head gasket is on the way out, so it hasn't had horses in it for 9 months, so any pee smell has gone completely (thank God!). I think I will dry brush rather than hose it though, due to the risk of resurrecting the ammonia smell. It's got quite a bit of rust on the cab but the body is not too bad.I don't want to drive anywhere but round our land so I'll soon it. I'm over the moon that it is 7foot high inside and so should take a big cupboard I don't want to get rid of! 

Edited by Jilly
spelling

Sounds great to me, accommodation/storage that’s movable on site. Not sure I,d want a camper that big, you might have trouble finding sites that would take it. 

Edited by joe90