Landscaping my plot

ProDave

I am sure most of you will think I am bonkers landscaping the plot of a house that's not yet completed outside, and barely started inside.

In the last few weeks all the ground around the house has been leveled and final garden levels established. I have even started to grow some grass.  It was completed today, here's one view of how it now looks: (the nice green lawn in the foreground is my neighbours front garden)

landscaping_8.jpg

There is more on my blog here http://ardross.altervista.org/Wilowburn/landscaping-part-1/

The motivation for doing this at this stage, is that is was something very cheap that I was able to do, and this now completes most of the jobs that require the digger, so just one more little job and that will be for sale.

• Like 2

I wanted to get the bulk of our landscaping done early on (but didn't), so no, i don't think you are bonkers for doing this.  Makes things nice and tidy for everyone, you, your neighbours and dare I say it anyone coming to view your house.

I'm hoping we will get our landscaping done in the next few weeks before the weather turns and the ground gets soaked.

Yes each bit has been seeded as I have done it, which is why some parts are more green than others. The bit I finished today will be seeded when I get some more seed next week.  Infinitely cheaper than turf and a lot easier. I am not after a perfectly manicured lawn just now, I just want the grass to get established before the weeds do. I hope it wil all get some growth before the winter sets in rather than spending the winter as bare earth.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a good knowledge as to what can be done without involving Planning Permission on an existing plot/garden, or a Landscaping Plan document for a new project etc?

That would be useful information to know.

I am aware that if I choose to develop a deck in my garden above I think 30cm then the Local Authority will want Planning involved if they notice or someone says something.

But I think there is considerable scope to just do things provided neighbours are onside or if out of sight of roads etc, and in the past I am of people who just done and got away with considerably more than 30cm of height, and I have personally done rather more than that in adjusting ground profiles etc where I have been keeping materials on site rather than removing them.

That can then get involved with the definitions of whether material being removed is 'waste' for disposal or 'material' for use elsewhere, which can get complex in regulatory terms.

Does anyone have more knowledge?

Ferdinand

When travellers moved onto a site a few miles from us they brought in lorry after lorry load of hardcore raising part of the site several feet. The planners told someone living next to the site that they could take no action as there was no evidence of the original level.

This is worth a look..

http://planninglawblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/earth-moving-for-garden-landscaping.html

Note the very few cases of enforcement he was able to cite.

In addition to the 300mm rule there are rules on paving front gardens (anti run-off measures) but you've probably seen those. 

Edited by Temp

"No evidence of original ground level? They could have taken a look on street view?

There are no worries in our case. I submitted a site plan with existing levels and a site plan with proposed levels. I am pretty close to the proposed levels. Basically all I have done is taken a sloping site, and built up the downhill end of the site so it is now very much less of a slope (but still a slope) so more of a useable garden. The build up also minimises the height from floor level to the ground at the "back door" so fewer steps needed from that down to the garden.

It has worked out well as I have already used most of the soil that was excavated for the foundations. any that doesn't get used up when we finish the final details later on, will simply get used to smooth out the ground on the other side of the burn, which is otherwise being left at the original level.

So no muck away charges whatsoever for this job.

1 hour ago, Temp said:

When travellers moved onto a site a few miles from us they brought in lorry after lorry load of hardcore raising part of the site several feet. The planners told someone living next to the site that they could take no action as there was no evidence of the original level.

This is worth a look..

http://planninglawblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/earth-moving-for-garden-landscaping.html

Note the very few cases of enforcement he was able to cite.

In addition to the 300mm rule there are rules on paving front gardens (anti run-off measures) but you've probably seen those. 

Yes ... Familiar with that. PP required if the paving is not permeable.

Peter Piper Premeditatively Picked a Protruding Private Portico Particularly Presenting Peculiar Permeable Paving Purposely to Preclude Planning Permission. Innit.

Ferdinand

• Like 1