Jump to content

Onoff

Members
  • Posts

    21173
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    206

Everything posted by Onoff

  1. Something like this for the wall plate detail:
  2. A freestanding step, he'll likely shuffle, wedge his foot under in then fall upending that and buggering his ankle. It'll work something on the lines of a grab handle on the wall between frame and external socket. With help he lifts one foot over the threshold onto the new plinth. Then he grabs the new handrail, shuffles and puts a foot onto the ground. Rough thoughts are this at the moment (quick sketch with a Sharpie in a newspaper). Stainless studs resin'd into the existing concrete. Existing concrete scabbled and primed with SBR. Step cast. He's a grabber when he falls so will take anything nearby with him. Similarly he will grab anything to haul himself back up. That handrail has got to be as strong as, maybe even one either side. I'll have to have a rummage as to what Tube Clamp fittings I have. One of his ailments is postural hypotension. This coupled with hearing / balance issues means he's very unsteady going from one "level" to another. Just the act of going up/down a step height can end in disaster. Of course, with the time I take to do anything this could all be moot... 😉
  3. My Dad is pretty much housebound and only able to walk short distances. Even negotiating a step is a mission. Various mobility issues! He can "walk" but with a frame etc. My brother has had the idea to put a step just outside the back door to halve the height of the step out from the kitchen. This so Dad can "sit out the back for a bit". Now the ground height to damp course has always been a bit compromised but seeming never caused issues. From the concrete to underside of step is 130/140mm. The boiler pipe runs under the step too. My brother's idea was to cast a plinth against the house. I said bad idea ref the damp course etc. My thoughts were cast it away from the step a tad. I'd wire brush / clean then SBR the existing concrete. Need also to incorporate a grab rail. Similar to the reflection in the first photo of one I did him years ago. Thoughts? Cheers
  4. Right, tube wise I have 19mm OD / 15mm ID. Then 1" OD / 7/8" ID. Both stainless: Tbh the smaller one might actually be Imperial too... 😂 On the washer front, all I have in a big dia is bright zinc plated on the right. On the left is a thick form, 2.5mm thick, M12 stainless washer but standard diameter. In the middle, an M12 thick form, stainless spring washer. I'll look again tomorrow.
  5. I'll go have a look either now or in the morning. I could easily post him some pre-cut
  6. What size studs? I've some 3/4" nom bore, heavy wall, stainless tube here I think. Would save painting, wouldn't rust etc.
  7. Yes, 150x50 is a bit of 6"x2" timber
  8. Read my reply just now.
  9. Scaffold poles are 48.3mm diameter. Buy a 50mm dia wood bit and drill up the middle of the 150x150 leg. Drill 100mm deep. Slip the 450mm length of scaffold up in the hole, you'll then have 350mm of pole sticking out from the bottom of the post. Forster bits are nice tools. You might be able to get a cheap, 50mm, flat wood bit instead. https://www.amazon.co.uk/6-50Mm-High-Carbon-Woodworking-Durable-Sets-45Mm/dp/B0849Y1Q83/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?
  10. I'm going to cheat. I feel the beans need a "boost": Says 1/2 cap to 1L of water but how much then does each plant "get"? Maybe just 100ml each then the next? On the good news front, since I added the ash layer to the runners in the pot, the slugs and snails seem to have reduced dramatically. Hopefully a feed will help the plants repair some of the damage. The runners in the enclosure, with the ring fence of ash and beer traps, haven't been touched.
  11. Do you have UHF, is that drying the trap out?
  12. Lion / tiger poo is supposed to work well too. I recall that freshly shed snake skins placed in the loft seemed to scare the mice away.
  13. Wood ash, scattered atop the soil in the runners pot seems to have worked. Looking at 4am this morning, it's been raining and there's slugs on the ground, no critters on the plants in the pots. (They seem to prefer the runners over the dwarf beans for some reason). Speaking with my brother and he reckoned nettle fertiliser takes about 6 weeks to brew then you dilute by 10x.
  14. Right then, tonight, bloody great snail munching on the runners in pot! No snail trail up the side or over the rim. Where does it live, under the dirt in the pot during the day? Is it worth sprinkling wood ash over the soil?
  15. A bigger vacuum lifter?
  16. I heard he got it from a Bristolian skip!
  17. Wire mesh? For example: https://www.ultimate-one.co.uk/premium-hdg-weld-mesh-panel-8x4-4x4-10g-244x122m-british-p-1523? & https://www.sure-green.com/wire-panel-8ft-4ft-12-gauge.html?
  18. Sod that. I'd do it freestanding with more legs at the back.
  19. If you're recall he asked for the render to match the existing.
  20. Beam A, the one to the house... Your extension construction is timber frame isn't it? As in timber stud uprights and "hollows". You can't resin fix to that.
  21. Frame is up: Still printing lots of PETG plastic bits to screw the base down:
  22. How did you get so close to take those photos of the local property? 😉 What length is 1 to 4?
×
×
  • Create New...