-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
That depends on the size of the job ... Ours was for .385 of a hectare, 8 cores (and one free one) the cost is detailed here (£1260). I no longer have the contact but the company was based in the NE ...
-
Good to see another member of the SleeplessSelfBuilderClub. Welcome.
- 39 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- the windy roost
- icf
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Howdens vs DIY Kitchens - which one to go for?
ToughButterCup replied to johnhenstock83's topic in Kitchen Units & Worktops
Talked this issue through with SWMBO the other day. She made a good point - " Do I tell you what you should have in your workshop, Festool this Festool that .... ? " And quick as a flash I replied "Ermmmmm, dunno wot you mean .... the tools you buy are just as expensive as mine though " Took a while to calm that one down .... -
And the brickie was a failed teacher?
-
Howdens vs DIY Kitchens - which one to go for?
ToughButterCup replied to johnhenstock83's topic in Kitchen Units & Worktops
Your partner. Forget everyone else. Honest - not tongue in cheek. -
You're describing the norm for this sector. What do your finger-tips tell you about this builder? Spot-on so far, and prepared to keep the job going is what I see at this remove. But you have a valid concern. How complex is the roof : beaver-tail details front and back, complex hips, or a 10 meter straight run - no chimney? If the latter - fine. If it's complex, talk to him about the support he may need .... Asking that may get a reassuring response - he's done several like this before. Here's your real problem Skype? Teams? Google chat? Phonecall? Facebook?
-
Dunning Kruger Level 1 folks all over the place, here as well as everywhere else. They are normal. They are me - sometimes. We don't have to look too far from our own doorstep to find many others - (the local pub will do ) In relation to what we do - self building - I know I spend my time mostly on the way up to Mount Stupid [ as in : How hard Can It Be? ] and too often sliding down into the valley of despair. [as in : Look at the Mess I made Of This, Help Me Here Please! ] The brilliant thing about BuildHub is that there are so very many generous people here who - seeing members like me flailing around in the Valley of Despair - who are more than prepared to grab me by the scruff of the neck and pull me up the slope of enlightenment. To me, that's the definition of Kindness. We can all see those - others always (?) - at the peak of Mount Stupid ( for example I cannot imagine how @SteamyTea puts up with my stupidity about electrical terminology) . But all too often I lack the kindness - the effort - the time - to help folk make the next step along this particular rollercoaster. Even when I can see the plot of route they need to take. To suceed, all I need to do is nothing. [ As in stuff it, I know the answer , but I'm not going to contribute to the discussion ] So, @MikeSharp01, we are becoming something of a joke eh? [ As in sliding to the Valley Of Despair] Who do we ask to help us on the next step towards Sustainability?
-
In a fit of misplaced energy this morning I mixed this much too much mortar I usually have a couple of 'jobs' for extra mortar and concrete. But I'm out of ideas this morning .... Apart from casting me and my boots in a large bucket and jumping in the river Lune ..... anyone got any creative ideas please..... ? !
-
Yes it is.
-
The reveals on a couple of my windows are - how to put this - variable. And I'm wanting to render them. On the rest of the house, I need a 10mm stop bead: but that's not big enough for the head of this window..... Have a look at this 10mm beading will be fine for the right hand side. But it wont be for the top (head) Local advice varies from - knock the house down and start again - to - It'll be reet (Oh that Lancastrian catch-all phrase meaning I couldn't give a stuff) What to do here folks please?
-
"Water supply fears prompt first housing objections"
ToughButterCup replied to Temp's topic in Planning Permission
Water companies: .... the regulatory framework within which they operate ... their sharholders behaviour. It stinks. And yet I'm not on the barricades shouting myself hoarse like I was as a student. Too comfortable. Even though I am messing another load of rendering up - less so than last week. Its raining Yay! -
Stop-valve key - trying to source and Intex 2 spare
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in General Plumbing
I think I remember using a pair of long-nose pliers 🤔 but a Toby works. We installed a stop valve immediately after the meter. -
The appeal landscape is a crap shoot?
ToughButterCup replied to Alan Ambrose's topic in Planning Permission
Yes. And in answer to your letter, the official would say something like ; applicants are free to challenge appeals decisions in the High Court. And then their Lordships would only look for errors of process - errors of law and missed out material issues, stuff like that. -
Thanks both. It's a Marmite house: some love it, others hate it. And I see every damn thing thats wrong with it. And one day - one day - I'll stop working on it. Its kind of you to comment so positively Ian
-
Read BuildHub. I'm serious: there'll be a few OhFFS moments on your build - and many instances of the same thing be recounted and chewed over on BH. Your time will not be wasted.
-
The appeal landscape is a crap shoot?
ToughButterCup replied to Alan Ambrose's topic in Planning Permission
Its what we've got. Unevidenced opinion on the part of anyone seriously engaged in any legal or quasi-legal process often puts the readers teeth on edge..... .... Applicants teeth or the Inspectors -
Make sense? That depends on your priorities. For us It did (does) because we wanted lots of glass. And we love the noise made by hail and rain. Yes, there's a bit of solar gain, yes it's a bit cooler in winter than optimal. On balance we're very happy with Gaulhofer : this is what it looks like .....
-
How to estimate self-build costs before starting
ToughButterCup replied to selfbuilder91's topic in Costing & Estimating
He's up-front about as far as I remember..... Thats one reason we chose him.- 23 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- self-build
- budget
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Is this something to be concerned about?
ToughButterCup replied to Romfordian's topic in General Structural Issues
Nahhh Dave, thats some wiring .... innit? -
Is this something to be concerned about?
ToughButterCup replied to Romfordian's topic in General Structural Issues
Now that I have rendered one whole wall - yes, just the one - , I can call myself an Internationally Renowned Rendering Consultant. If you do nothing else, get that bead sealed before September......
