Door Hinges Which Way?

Onoff

Door hinges...

Do they go 2 leaf to the jam like this:

20190530_171452

Or 3 leaf to the jam like this:

20190530_171508

Hopefully it doesn't matter so I can make sure the writing on the hinge is the right way up.

Cheers.

Just looked at ours. Some are one way, other are the other way. I rather suspect the joiners just fitted them whichever way they came out of the packet.

I might have to turn some of them over to get the writing the right way up.

These discussions always remind me of a carpet fitter who was telling me how fussy some customers/people can be when it comes to detail. He gave the example of people making sure the orientation of all faceplate screws were the same... He took the expression on my face to be one of confusion so proceeded to indicate on a nearby lightswitch what he meant only to realise that *I* was one of them! ? So, yes, another vote from me that upright writing is the 'right' (indeed *only*!) way to have those hinges. 

• Like 2

Despite being OCD (according to my wife) I have an issue with lining up screw heads, the screw must be tight but lining them up either over tightens them or leaves them loose so I tend not to, however cross head screws are on nearly everything. Screws should be torqued to the correct setting and cordless drivers can be set to this which is my preferred option.

12 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Despite being OCD (according to my wife) I have an issue with lining up screw heads, the screw must be tight but lining them up either over tightens them or leaves them loose so I tend not to, however cross head screws are on nearly everything. Screws should be torqued to the correct setting and cordless drivers can be set to this which is my preferred option.

There lies an argument for Torx head screws as you've more chance of being able to make incremental adjustments to line the screw heads up!

These will have to do:

20190530_185518

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Just looked at ours. Some are one way, other are the other way. I rather suspect the joiners just fitted them whichever way they came out of the packet.

I might have to turn some of them over to get the writing the right way up.

You know it's going to bother you now! ?

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Whichever way up they are the same number of bearing supports are achieved, writing right way up fits with my OCD.?

If the writing is wrong, take up Crossfit and stand on your head. You know you want to.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

If the writing is wrong, take up Crossfit and stand on your head. You know you want to.

I can imagine her being very strict.....

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Door hinges...

Do they go 2 leaf to the jam like this:

20190530_171452

Or 3 leaf to the jam like this:

20190530_171508

Hopefully it doesn't matter so I can make sure the writing on the hinge is the right way up.

Cheers.

three lugs on the standard and two on the door and whilst not necessary , unlike slotted screws, it does look as though care has been taken if screws are +.

whatever the clearance is on the hinge side, the top and striking side should all be equal.