ASHP + UFH quote

Stick with the thicker slab, and save the worry. The additional losses with the Poitier insulation may translate into a few quid per year of wasted energy, but to have cracks in your polished floor will be irreparable or cost more than 10 years worth of losses to have put right professionally. 

The losses will be divided by 3 on average also as you’re using an ASHP to provide the heat energy, which is a multiplier. Go for E10 if possible and heat the slab in those off-peak windows and then it’ll be cheaper again to run. Have the stat set to do setback temps during the peak rate times, so it runs at a lower temp whilst peak rate is available further reducing losses. 

You can squeeze a few more drops of efficiency out by a bit of thoughtful use, and that’ll offset the higher losses, but remember that you’re not going to be all that much better off in reality adding just another 25mm of insulation ;)  If we were taking about adding another 50-75mm then I’d perhaps say you should reconsider.

50 minutes ago, eandg said:

Anyone in Scotland used an EST loan for AHSP? Is there a significant premium on MCS accredited (supply and) installers? 

I tried to but only got 1 company to quote and at 14.5k felt that was too much to install kit to the value of circa 5.5k. I approached about a dozen installers but only received the one quote. The EST told me to widen my search area for a quote and they accepted that getting installers was challenging but I believed that would come with potential support issues so didn’t widen the search area further than 2 hours. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, newhome said:

I tried to but only got 1 company to quote and at 14.5k felt that was too much to install kit to the value of circa 5.5k. I approached about a dozen installers but only received the one quote. The EST told me to widen my search area for a quote and they accepted that getting installers was challenging but I believed that would come with potential support issues so didn’t widen the search area further than 2 hours. 

Thanks - appreciated. Hopefully being in an urban area changes the dynamic a bit. The interest-free loan and RHI makes the economic case attractive even at a premium. 

11 minutes ago, eandg said:

Thanks - appreciated. Hopefully being in an urban area changes the dynamic a bit. The interest-free loan and RHI makes the economic case attractive even at a premium. 

My quote was circa 5k above the RHI and given that it would have been a retrofit I’ve stuck with what I already have albeit not incredibly economical if I used the whole house. 

6 hours ago, eandg said:

Anyone in Scotland used an EST loan for AHSP? Is there a significant premium on MCS accredited (supply and) installers? 

yes i am getting the loan, it was a complete pain for me to get quotes as i live on an island (shetland) and there are only 4 MCS registered plumbers, and none of them could( didnt want to) give me a quote, i eventually got a really helpful plumber in orkney to get me a quote and he uses a local plumber to sub contract and only because i know his son 9_9, it has been a complete pain to get it all sorted, i started the process in october and am hopefully getting the second fix done in a couple of weeks, i had quotes for fitting an oil system and these were more or less the same as having an ASHP system installed, this is a retrofit replacing storage heaters and my RHI payments are maxed out, if you are building a new house with a small heating demand it might not be worth the extra cost of MCS accreditation