Electric Gates Emergency Access Override

Andrew

We are planning electric gates and an access control system. It's early days so details are sketchy at the moment but as part of our plans submission I've been asked the following from the BCO. Btw BCO is on holiday for a couple of weeks otherwise I'd ask - just trying to get answers to all the questions before her return. 

If electric gates are proposed please provide details on over-ride in case of emergency access needed.

I've done some extensive googling around the subject but can't find anything either in terms of the requirements or solutions from the gate equipment suppliers. There does seem mention of a fire key which can be used to override the gates but this only seems to be used on much larger gated communities and such. 

Does anyone have any experience with this and if so, how did you provide emergency access to satisfy the BCO?

Thanks.

We have gates with Came motors. 

There is a hex nut at the base of each gate, inside and outside, that you can turn with a key to decouple the gate from the motorised hinge, the gate then swings feely open.

Kind of renders them useless as a security feature but necessary if there is a power outage or emergency.

• Thanks 1

We have the same situation as @Bitpipe a nut at the base of each gate which you undo with the key spanners provided.  I think most swing gates have this, sliders have a slightly different variation but they have an emergency release too.  If you go to a gate company website and look at motors you will probably find the tech docs showing this and you could use those for BCO.

• Thanks 1

When I had electric gates at my last house I put a door bell push switch round the back of the gate post in the hedge so I could open them in case the remote failed. Also the actuators had a hex key that disengaged the motor in case of power failure.

• Thanks 1

Ours did not even have a hex key you just turned a knob. They also had battery back up that would last for a fair number of open and close cycles. From memory you're also required to have some sort of safety mechanism if there is a crush risk. 

• Thanks 1

Brilliant thanks all. I'll mention the hex nut and show some manuals (thanks @lizzie).

It's funny as I think this it's the emergency fire brigade access that has prompted this question. Of all the emergency services, I can't imagine a set of gates would keep them out for very long.  

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Would they perhaps have a database of key codes?

The keypad codes are chosen by the user, the fobs take their code from the gate controller, so don.t see how that would work.

We have IR sensors on the outsides and induction loops on the inside that open the gates open if triggered. Didn't go for detectors on the gates themselves.

25 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

The keypad codes are chosen by the user, the fobs take their code from the gate controller, so don.t see how that would work.

We have IR sensors on the outsides and induction loops on the inside that open the gates open if triggered. Didn't go for detectors on the gates themselves.

You tell them what it is.

Or conceivably they have a pass key.

How do they do it with all those centre in the London blurbs designed to stop rat runs?

F

Edited by Ferdinand