Bath Overflow Filler

Onoff

We have the first system on a bath we just installed. I feel it was much neater as well as cheaper than wall mounted taps so a win win.

Unfortunately I am not at home so can't post a picture, but as Barney said there is a separate valve. We mounted it on the wall in the middle of that bath. I used one with a diverter and put a hand held shower on the wall too for hair washing, but that does add to the cost.

So something like this on the wall, note this is just the first one that came up in an Ebay search.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Square-Tap-Wall-mounted-Shower-and-Bath-Mixer-Faucet-Tap-Control-Valve-/261503697880?hash=item3ce2d5c3d8:g:ICIAAOxyjxlTO94S

Ours is more like this with a diverter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wall-mount-2-Ways-Shower-Faucet-Control-Valve-Single-Handle-With-Diverter-Chrome-/321738874326?hash=item4ae9219dd6:g:Rv4AAOSwv0tVPg30

I think a lot of people on here would warn you against buying cheap plumbing fittings though. You are probably looking at more like £100-150 for a brand name valve or valve plus diverter. Wall mounted taps though can easily stretch to £300-400

8 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Only the bottom one has an integrated mixer valve. 

the Sundley one will need some form of deck mounted valves. Something like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pegler-Pulsar-Deck-Mounted-Side-Valves-/282043245846?hash=item41ab166516:g:W3UAAOSwQjZXPwvL

Have another look, the Sundley one DOESN'T need separate valves....neither does. Filler acts as the taps in both cases.

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Have another look, the Sundley one DOESN'T need separate valves....neither does. Filler acts as the taps in both cases.

Sorry, I'm probably being thick but I can't see any reference to any form of valve control that would allow you to alter hot and cold flow. 

EDIT: I've just looked again. I see the title appears to reference the fact but the detailed description doesn't. The first two pictures seem to also be different than three and four. The first two have what looks like a lever which I concede MAY be a valve control. The third and forth don't show the lever. 

Edited by Barney12

1 minute ago, Barney12 said:

Sorry, I'm probably being thick but I can't see any reference to any form of valve control that would allow you to alter hot and cold flow. 

Under "item description":

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=272031327387&category=42347&pm=1&ds=0&t=1472712747860

1 minute ago, Barney12 said:

Yup. That one is a gate valve to arrest pre-mixed flow ONLY. There would need to be a thermostatic / manual mixer valve in line, prior to it so Barney's right ;). It's not a mixer tap Onoff, it's a flow control. 

I still think they both stick out too far, and with your shaped bath adds to the choke point. 

Ok now I'm on the fence. Had a look at the description and it's open to interpretation. 

It does have two inlets suggesting hot and cold, but I've seen lots which give you both so you can blank one side off ( easier installation ) which are for mixed flow input only. 

Best to message the seller and get it confirmed maybe?

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. That one is a gate valve to arrest pre-mixed flow ONLY. There would need to be a thermostatic / manual mixer valve in line, prior to it so Barney's right ;). It's not a mixer tap Onoff, it's a flow control. 

I still think they both stick out too far, and with your shaped bath adds to the choke point. 

My missus has voiced concerns it sticks out too far.....

Maybe spin the bath back through 180 deg and keep the originally planned mixer tap wall side? 

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok now I'm on the fence. Had a look at the description and it's open to interpretation. 

It does have two inlets suggesting hot and cold, but I've seen lots which give you both so you can blank one side off ( easier installation ) which are for mixed flow input only. 

Best to message the seller and get it confirmed maybe?

The one I fitted in the last place had separate hot and cold flow. Each was simply connected to a deck mounted valve. Thus no 'mixing'.

Where they are good is of you have a relatively large bath with matching ends. This design facilitates 'double bubble' baths without one person suffering the tap end. ;););) 

25 minutes ago, Onoff said:

My missus has voiced concerns it sticks out too far.....

Maybe spin the bath back through 180 deg and keep the originally planned mixer tap wall side?

I assume you are talking mixer tap with two tap holes through the bath half way along one side of the bath?

A house I am wiring at the moment has that.  My immediate thought is HOW the bloody hell would you ever get to the under side of that tap if it ever needs replacing? you can't without removing the bath.

So from a simple "I like to be able to fix things" point of view, I would never consider that in my house *

* unless the bath backed on to say a cupboard in another room where you could have an access hatch

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I assume you are talking mixer tap with two tap holes through the bath half way along one side of the bath?

A house I am wiring at the moment has that.  My immediate thought is HOW the bloody hell would you ever get to the under side of that tap if it ever needs replacing? you can't without removing the bath.

So from a simple "I like to be able to fix things" point of view, I would never consider that in my house *

* unless the bath backed on to say a cupboard in another room where you could have an access hatch

You're thinking the way I am!

The original intent was this:

SAM_2191

But that puts the taps against the wall and not easily accessible. The wall is a cavity wall backing onto the study. Theoretically I could remove bookcases in there, hack a hole through the wall etc for a hatch. Maybe with hindsight etc!

Compounding the issue is having the bath as above puts the pump motor to the right, again awkward for access.

SAM_2147

It was about then I  decided to make the boxing in removable......then I decided to spin the bath 180deg. Great for accessing the pump and taps via removable panels but puts the taps and moulded projection the wrong side:

SAM_2496

So now looking at low profile deck valves so you don't catch yourself getting in/out. Or blanking the tap holes with chrome caps (I've ordered some) or doing away with them altogether and having a combined filler / oveflow.

8 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Looking at those pictures I see it is a "double bubble" bath. :D Now I'm understanding the attention to detail on this project. 

Don't forget the candles and piped music ;)

I'm just thankful I know what I'm doing! :ph34r:

Probably put a Bluetooth and/or Wi-fi speaker(s) in. 

Only concession to mood lighting at the mo is a remote control LED gel strip for along the full length of the reveal alongside the bath. Same for the wet room corner reveals. Will probably put PIR controlled plinth lights along the base of the bath too. I will maybe make them myself a la Knightrider!

If your on about the 'pin' then yes they screw in, but it's sometimes also the way that the chrome control disc / dial gets held on. 

Other method, which you'd need if you wanted to remove it long term, is that a hex drive grub screw gets tightened to retain the chrome dial and then the pin has a female thread that then screws hand tight onto the remaining exposed thread of that ( long ) grub screw. 

You could order it, have a look, and return it if it's unsuitable. 

31 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If your on about the 'pin' then yes they screw in, but it's sometimes also the way that the chrome control disc / dial gets held on. 

Other method, which you'd need if you wanted to remove it long term, is that a hex drive grub screw gets tightened to retain the chrome dial and then the pin has a female thread that then screws hand tight onto the remaining exposed thread of that ( long ) grub screw. 

You could order it, have a look, and return it if it's unsuitable. 

Ta.....can't sleep then or early start?

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

£300 doesn't sound too bad tbh, once you factor in all the grief you'll be avoiding trying not to fit one ;)  

Simple, straightforward, looks the nuts and is a 10 minute fit. Get your wallet out me thinks :)  

Wife DOESN'T like it! :(

Finally took a pic of new bath we just put in with overflow filler and wall mounted and help spray plus controls.

The stud was right in the centre hence the control and spray are a little further apart than I planned, but I think it is so much neater than what we had before which was a set of the telephone style taps.

IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

• Like 1