The Workshop / Bat Roost

Barney12

28 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Alas no, I ran out of timber as I used the last length to beat my ecologist and the jumped up kn*b head from Natural England into a pulp. :D 

xD Out of interest what are you using to paint it black? Or do the powers that be specify that too?

I'm quite a fan of Bedec barn paint. Never ever come across a product that covers, so well, timber on the FIRST coat. Seemingly ticks the environmental boxes too.

http://bedec.co.uk/BARN PAINT LEAFLET.pdf

That being said I always used to use Sadolin way back when. Seem to remember it took an age to dry. Bedec, 3 coats in a day no problem.

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

xD Out of interest what are you using to paint it black? Or do the powers that be specify that too?

I'm quite a fan of Bedec barn paint. Never ever come across a product that covers, so well, timber on the FIRST coat. Seemingly ticks the environmental boxes too.

That being said I always used to use Sadolin way back when. Seem to remember it took an age to dry. Bedec, 3 coats in a day no problem.

I have used the Bedec product in the past and agree it's excellent. I've also used their multi-surface paint: http://bedec.co.uk/MSP COLOUR CARD-1.pdf that is equally as good!

I'm probably going to spray them using the same product as I used to spray the windows: https://www.teknos.co.uk/brands-and-products/aquatop-exterior-topcoat/

It's actually the product that some of the window manufacturers use (including Rationel). Not cheap though :(

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Fantastic! Sorry if I missed it but how come the planners had so much say in "the colour of the doors" etc?

And is the cladding staying that colour to weather naturally?

The joys of the national parks planning department.

Doors have to be vertical boarded and dark brown or black.

All cladding to be stained dark brown or black.

In fairness they do have a point. Our plot is visible from the open moor (although from a point very rarely walked by humans (plenty of sheep and cows) and the new workshop and shed are currently very visible and yet the existing garage which is already stained dark brown blends in very well. 

28 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Those trays are a wonderfully simple and practical solution. 

Looking damn good so far :)

They are indeed. We battened and screwed down those trays in a matter of a couple of hours and had never done them before. The flashing is very similar to the slate flashing kits you get with a Velux. 

When I compared the cost, because people were bleating on about in-roof being so much more expensive than on roof, I concluded that the complete GSE frame, fixings and flashing kit was just about exactly the same price as an on-roof frame kit, but that the in-roof system saved the cost of slates/tiles underneath and so was actually cheaper.

Given that an in-roof system is a lot quicker and easier to fit than an on-roof system (no need to get inside the roof to secure through bolts etc) then PV installers should really be offering them at lower prices than they do.

On 22/06/2016 at 08:34, Onoff said:

Would this be an application where scorching the cladding would have worked?

Ferdinand

5 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Would this be an application where scorching the cladding would have worked?

Ferdinand

I don't see why not. The park just insist it's dark.

We used fairly cheap pressure treated feather edge boarding. Less than £2 per 4.2m length. I'm not sure if that would have been suitable for scorching? 

It would have been nice to do the various outbuildings in something more cosmetically appealing but we're trying to conserve budget for the main house. We didn't even want to build this workshop but we had no choice under the terms of our mitigation strategy for the bats :( 

7 hours ago, Barney12 said:

I don't see why not. The park just insist it's dark.

We used fairly cheap pressure treated feather edge boarding. Less than £2 per 4.2m length. I'm not sure if that would have been suitable for scorching? 

It would have been nice to do the various outbuildings in something more cosmetically appealing but we're trying to conserve budget for the main house. We didn't even want to build this workshop but we had no choice under the terms of our mitigation strategy for the bats :( 

It would probably have suffered a little like overdone melba toast. I think they use planks not featehredge.

Ferdinand

So more progress this weekend. PV panels are all ready to be wired up by the sparky on Thur. Slates all finished.

Anyone thinking of using the GSE panels and all black PV's should definitely do it. They look so smart. They're also incredibly simple to install. 

Still numerous jobs to do inside and out but on we go :( 

20160710_144154842_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The word "shed" doesn't really do it justice does it? xD

It's been named "Batmoral" :D 

we already have "Cluckingham Palace" where SWMBO's prized girls live. 

Edited by Barney12
  • Like 3

I think we need a photo of Cluckingham Palace! Wasn't there one on eBuild?

EDIT: Out of interest did the bat people mention the EBL rabies like virus and the risk to humans or were they more interested in the bats? What bats are they btw?

Edited by Onoff

Yes, I think I did post it on eBuild. It's currently looking a bit tatty and is in desperate need of a coat of stain and the weeds have taken over! 

We now also have a "recycling store" (aka shed!) next to it. 

Both have been fitted with 500w solar arrays now. 

You can just see the other "shed" in this picture which is our shipping container! 

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

What is the solar setup?

Are these really battery hens?

They are just two small solar arrays connected to the main house circuit. Those roofs face South so it seemed a no brainier to do it. 

And yes they are indeed battery hens :) Well actually ex-battery hens (now called colony hens as more than one is kept in each cage to get round the rules) as my wife re-homes chickens from the Hen Welfare Trust 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Oh and we are currently having "shed wars". SWMBO has decided that the shed next to the chickens is "her" shed. A shed for a woman, have you ever heard anything so daft ;) 

You sound "hen"pecked.....xD

So you've trenched (& ducted?) your PV cables from the sheds to the house? 

Edited by Onoff

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

So you've trenched (& ducted?) your PV cables from the sheds to the house? 

Sort of! Its like this...........

We have one domestic supply (albeit carried on a 3 phase cable due to the distance from the nearest supply point). From there we have three SP&N switches to consumer units:

No.1. House CU (although currently a site supply)

No.2. Bat Roost / Workshop CU

No.3. Garage/Flat/Coach House CU (which also has a sub-feed to an outside consumer unit by the chicken house)

So the solar is (or will be from Thursday!) connected as follows:

6 panel array on bat roost is connected to a single inverter into the Bat Roost / Workshop CU.

The shed and chicken house arrays are on micro inverters with a 240v SWA between the two sheds. Then connected to the outside CU.

I've lost count of the meters of trench and SWA we've run so far. My most recent effort was running a 4mm cable from the outside consumer unit up to the electric gate control panel at the end of our drive. Close to 80m of trench dug by hand and re-filled by hand. I REALLY need to buy a digger.

Now I bet you wish you hadn't asked :)

BTW. Huge plug to this and the past forum. I worked all this out from various previous posts and help from the collective here! I knew nothing about Solar before that. This place is just great!!