'Zoot’s Driveway Gate Project'

zoothorn

My chippy mate was moving factory unit and it was a case of "everything must go". Never say no is my motto! Got enough box section to do my gate posts and enough left over to make a car rotisserie for one of my Capris...still in the planning stages that project...:ph34r:

Edited by Onoff

15 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

IIRC they are 0.9m and 2.1m. We bought the posts, hinges etc from Jackson as well.

https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/fencing/entrance-gates/traditional

This place look like where @Redoctober got yours from too maybe, from the nice curved uprights?

Now an afterthought: I'm wondering if I can add a section onto the tops of both gates, for extra privacy (have to be lightweight/ to not add load to both gate's hang). IE if onto these curved uprights > across to a thin upright on each gates' meet end. Say an added 18" height or so "panel" across both gates. I have privacy issues, gone up a notch y'day when one n'bor waltzed thru my entrance, straight down past my house front, to my gdn where I was (complaining me playing acoustic gtr). So I hope maybe an extra level of 'barrier/ NO' as it were.. & also I get another nasty nationalist sod slowly driving by here/ staring into my property to provoke me. I can also see another horrible pair across road (putting dogmuck on my property, & car no less) who stare over hedge into my entrance at me: so a barrier added just up to head height, would be great to stop this intrusive behaviour.

Could you tell me what the H of your gate is, to the top of the curve uprights?

But your gates of mordor are far higher than I'm going though-?

17 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

IIRC they are 0.9m and 2.1m. We bought the posts, hinges etc from Jackson as well.

https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/fencing/entrance-gates/traditional

This place look like where

2 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

FFS I hate this f****ing planning sh*t. I cannot understand it. So I need fkn planning just to replace my damn gate?????!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's over a metre high. Probably.

14 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

FFS I hate this f****ing planning sh*t. I cannot understand it. So I need fkn planning just to replace my damn gate?????!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it a replacement? If so, that is surely a repair.

Personally I would just JFDI that. The policy is nuts in that situation.

Is the penalty if you have to retrospectively do an app later more than to do one initially?

If so, there is probably little downside.

Certainly I would do so if it was a standard farm-style gate. If you were doing a @Onoff Minas Tirith or Helm's Deep style thing, it might be more more risky.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Right let me get this right. Deep fkn breath/ I loathe going thru these PP 'points' (so damn convoluted & not even the PP officer seems to tally with what these 'points' say- so how do I have a fkn chance?).

Because I have a gate that's decrepid I can replace it w'out PP. But the old one's galvanised. So do I need PP?

And as its over 1m high, as any damn gate is.. so I need PP regardless of vthe above-?

For crying out fkn loud if I almost cant cope with the red tape of putting a fkn gate in.. how the hell am I ever going to be able to understand whether I can put a shed up??

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

Right let me get this right. Deep fkn breath/ I loathe going thru these PP 'points' (so damn convoluted & not even the PP officer seems to tally with what these 'points' say- so how do I have a fkn chance?).

Because I have a gate that's decrepid I can replace it w'out PP. But the old one's galvanised. So do I need PP?

And as its over 1m high, as any damn gate is.. so I need PP regardless of vthe above-?

For crying out fkn loud if I almost cant cope with the red tape of putting a fkn gate in.. how the hell am I ever going to be able to understand whether I can put a shed up??

Possibly :ph34r:

Edited by Ferdinand

I didn't zoom in to realise you already had a gate there. Just fit the new one (s) but take a pic of the old one closed. Try not to go any higher or just take the pic of the old one whilst you're sitting on the floor so if looks higher!

On 14/04/2019 at 08:42, PeterStarck said:

These are our gates when we put them in a few years ago. They are from Jacksons Fencing.

IMG_20151201_110950.thumb.jpg.8173c7f6106536c24b1c55955d175172.jpg

Peter.. did you need planning permission to put these in? did you apply? did you know you had to apply, or JFDI?

Possibly everthing.

IMO an improved gate that fits the context of a rural village will not get complained about because locals will like it, and it fits in.

However, if you have someone bloodyminded, they may complain as a technicality, and if they do the Council may tell you to apply.

My personal opinion is that a modest farm-style gate will be got-away-with about 8 or 9 times out of 10, but if you do something that would be ore suitable for Minas Tirith or Helm's Deep, someone is more likely to complain.

If you can argue that it is just a like for like replacement, which you can, then it should be OK.

F

On 14/04/2019 at 09:15, Redoctober said:

You will do well to get a wooden type gate on that budget unless of course you intend to fit them yourself, I would suggest. As mentioned above, try and source a local supplier. I paid £710 for both these gates to be supplied and fitted. [Jan 2019]. He supplies all the local farms in the area.

DSC01393.JPG

DSC01396.JPG

Redoctober.. did you need planning permission to put these in? did you apply? did you know you had to apply, or JFDI?

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@Onoff same Q: did you need planning permission to put these in? did you apply? did you know you had to apply, or JFDI?

No. I just replaced the existing rotten swing gates that were here. Everybody here has high gates now to try and deter the undesirables. 

Here is a gate I have which I was planning to post as an example of a more modest gate.

IMG_0777-s.thumb.jpg.f4a21da27090fa5ca1b538b7384f15f5.jpg

IMG_0778.thumb.JPG.c90438d329dedef62015f3306fb143b3.JPG

It was previously a galvanised farm gate, which was destroyed when a branch fell off a tree. 

This is a farm gate which cost me about £110 a couple of years ago, on the same posts.

I just made a hole in the hedge originally and did it. I did not ask anyone before changing it from galvanised to wood.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Ok thanks chaps. I still don't know if I need PP now. This has opened a can of worms.

@Onoff.. but did you need, or apply for, or know to..  getplanning permission, to replace your gates??

And what H are yours then? they look over 2m to me.. I don't understand this.

2 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok thanks chaps. I still don't know if I need PP now. This has opened a can of worms.

@Onoff.. but did you need, or apply for, or know to..  getplanning permission, to replace your gates??

And what H are yours then? they look over 2m to me.. I don't understand this.

F*** me no! There were already tall, rotten, swing gates here!

I just got rid and put the sliding gate on. Height is temporary anyway until I make the wrought ironwork that'll go across the top. The black, wooden section will reduce in height then

Ok that calms things down a bit. You see as Ive mentioned: Ive a total of 6 horrible n'bors close around me, who'll do -anything- at -any- opportunity to get at me max they can. The worst a retired architect (dog muck campaign little creep of a man) who'll scrutinise whatever I do on his 'domain'/ jurastiction/ area he's lived in for 30 yrs (so how dare I move in here etc) so it seems.

I have to account for these creeps, whatever I do, so I dont get in a situation of having to remove X.. which will give them the goal they so desperately, pathetically want: stress to me.

44 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Peter.. did you need planning permission to put these in? did you apply? did you know you had to apply, or JFDI?

No I never put them in my planning application. I had to put the details of the driveway and fencing/hedging in but never mentioned gates. There are rules about the hedge/fence being no more than 0.9m above road level for a certain distance back from the road edge, might be 2.4m, can't remember for sure. I'm sure the planners aren't really interested down here unless someone complains.