Stiff screw on MK double gang socket

Ed Davies

Need to replace a double gang mains socket, got a new one yesterday. Screws on the live and neutral terminals were pretty stiff winding them in the first time but are now free and work sensibly. The screw on the earth terminal, though, is stiffer still. I've only got it in about 1/3 to 1/2 way and I'm coming close to destroying the screw head in the process. Am I missing something obvious?

It's an MK socket, not some Asian knockoff, so I really wasn't expecting any problems with it.

img_1970-medium.jpg

img_1971-medium.jpg

It is a LONG time since I regarded MK as a quality make, let alone the best (as they once were)

I don't touch their stuff now.  I have had problems getting cables to clamp in their terminals plenty of times.,

My favourite still remains Scholmore Click Mode, now available from Toolstation.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/04/2019 at 15:17, ProDave said:

It is a LONG time since I regarded MK as a quality make, let alone the best (as they once were)

I don't touch their stuff now.  I have had problems getting cables to clamp in their terminals plenty of times.,

Interesting, I was about to ask if MK was still the go-to brand and found this thread before posting. There are pages of bitter customer review posts on Screwfix complaining about MK sockets with low quality terminal screws and a bad feel to the clamp action.

Think I will major on your recommendation of Scolmore for my build as a white plastic finish is good enough for me. I do like the shaping of MK buttons and the chamfer on their face plates.

37 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If you like the look and feel of MK then look at the Schneider Lisse range from Screwfix as an alternative as it’s cheaper but the quality is very good. 

We have fitted Schneider Lisse sockets and switches and they are very good. I like the connector on the light switches for connecting the neutrals for loop in at switch.