Garage side door

lizzie

We have a side door into the garage.  It has a timber door on it, door only went on last autumn was brand new and was painted here on site. I’m not clear exactly what the door is made from.

Over the winter the door appears to have warped and looks like some sort of delamination going on at the bottom. I have not dared to try opening it as I doubt I would get it closed again.

Less than 6 months seems a remarkably short life span for a door.  

Think I need a new door.  Any suggestions.....I dont want this happening again in a few months.  Will need to find a local company to do it.

F20BC74A-08AC-49C7-B63A-30707FDC6F1C.jpeg

C0C5A9B5-9230-4F40-B9D8-011263FFEF75.jpeg

14EF1E77-0BD0-43F6-91E0-D98599EA51D0.jpeg

F1577F46-B732-41D6-8274-0B9DB4DE2577.jpeg

Who fitted it?

I strongly suspect looking at the state of it, that it was an internal door.  We have a timber external door on the garage of our old house that has been there since 2004 and is still in good condition with no warping or no de lamination.

Our new house has a second hand SwedeDoor front door that our neighbour removed, Again about 15 years old and still in good condition.

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Who fitted it?

I strongly suspect looking at the state of it, that it was an internal door.  We have a timber external door on the garage of our old house that has been there since 2004 and is still in good condition with no warping or no de lamination.

Our new house has a second hand SwedeDoor front door that our neighbour removed, Again about 15 years old and still in good condition.

it was my carpenter.... he got it and fitted it.  He got it and I reimbursed but cant find invoice to see what sort of door (and so work out if is faulty) Given the state of it my first thought was an internal door......it is quite exposed too.... He was so good with everything else hard to think he would have fitted the wrong type of door its just as much work to fit the right one.

Does anyone know if I go for one of the steel ones above (thank you @Ferdinand) do I need the surrounding frame and thresholds too. Its fixed onto an uninsulated cavity brick wall. Currently it is a timber surround and threshold I dont want new door and then get problems later with frame etc

Definitely looks like an internal door, and internal door furniture too, judging by the corrosion on the screws holding the handle on.

I fitted a cheap, half double glazed, uPVC door and frame to the side of my garage, and am very pleased with it.  No maintenance needed and it's secure enough, being intended for use as a house external door.  IIRC it cost about £300, and came pre-hung in a frame, so was a doddle to install.

6 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Definitely looks like an internal door, and internal door furniture too, judging by the corrosion on the screws holding the handle on.

I fitted a cheap, half double glazed, uPVC door and frame to the side of my garage, and am very pleased with it.  No maintenance needed and it's secure enough, being intended for use as a house external door.  IIRC it cost about £300, and came pre-hung in a frame, so was a doddle to install.

Yep the fittings are corroding...whole thing is very unsightly. Wil have a look at door/window companies too thank you.

My biggest diffuculty is going to be finding someone local to fit the thing.

2 hours ago, lizzie said:

My biggest diffuculty is going to be finding someone local to fit the thing.

My PVC guy may travel up. Supply and fit and a new composite door if you like? Just need some measurements. He’s just done my front door. ?

Composite is more expensive but has much better security and is available in all sorts of colours. Is that black or charcoal ? 

@Nickfromwales its RAL 7016 anthracite

door is 1980 high x 840 wide plus the frame

whole opening is roughly 2060 high x 925 wide. then there is a threshold and habing just tried to measure that (about 60mm) it seems to be sitting in thin air I can get my hand underneath and put my fingers into the cavity.... is it supposed to be open underneath like that?

I think I would need frame as well as door.

thank you

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

@Nickfromwales its RAL 7016 anthracite

door is 1980 high x 840 wide plus the frame

whole opening is roughly 2060 high x 925 wide. then there is a threshold and habing just tried to measure that (about 60mm) it seems to be sitting in thin air I can get my hand underneath and put my fingers into the cavity.... is it supposed to be open underneath like that?

I think I would need frame as well as door.

thank you

It would be a frame / door combo if you went for composite ( so no maintenance / painting ) but you could keep the lining and replace just the door. Which would you prefer? A composite door plus frame wont be cheap but the annoyance of the frame rotting out with the cost of a new door would be a pita.

Straight door change would be a job for a local chippy, but my guy would come out and do the door if it was a new / replacement. Only problem with the RAL colour is IIRC its not available on the cheaper uPVC doors. You can go for a cheaper door / frame combo in uPVC if you're happy with anthracite not the true RAL? Example

I can ask for a ball-park figure if you want the composite? Any need to go 'mad'? eg higher security with the composite.

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

It would be a frame / door combo if you went for composite ( so no maintenance / painting ) but you could keep the lining and replace just the door. Which would you prefer? A composite door plus frame wont be cheap but the annoyance of the frame rotting out with the cost of a new door would be a pita.

Straight door change would be a job for a local chippy, but my guy would come out and do the door if it was a new / replacement. Only problem with the RAL colour is IIRC its not available on the cheaper uPVC doors. You can go for a cheaper door / frame combo in uPVC if you're happy with anthracite not the true RAL? Example

I can ask for a ball-park figure if you want the composite? Any need to go 'mad'? eg higher security with the composite.

@Nickfromwales I think I would need to replace the lot including the threshold bit......I think its the cill I mean there not entirely sure of correct terminology.  I dont want to do a half job. I dont think I need to be too precious about the Ral as long as it is anthracite. Its not next to anything to 'match'. The trad panel style in example wouldnt go though it would need to be more modern - flush is what I have now but it doesnt have to be flush just not trad panel. I have no idea on price last door I bought was an Internorm one :-((( As long as not megabucks then fine - what is on example seems ok.  I dont think we have any need for increased security on door garage is alarmed and we are behind big gates and walls LOL

@JSHarris sounds as though he has found a good product that didnt break the bank although I appreciate prices will have increased by now.

Thank you.

Edited by lizzie

My guy is ringing me back today ( if he gets the info ) to confirm if RAL 7016 is available with the cheaper door. To save a couple more quid, you can have the inside white, but there's not much in it tbh.

He would probably only do supply and fit if coming a distance as he'd be losing a sale of a door otherwise ( prob 10-15% uplift ), but even though I could have sourced my own front door I still let him supply and fit for me as I didn't want to remove all the meat off the bone for him.

This is of course a second choice, and if you can source online and get a local chippy in, then this is a one day, one visit job at most for any decent fitter.