Removing plasterboard adhesive from block work on reveals

j_s

Hey guys

Finally back with a few questions

I am starting on my project to improve all of our window and door reveals but first I need to remove the plasterboard and adhesive. The plasterboard is easy but the adhesive seems to be a right pain. I was using my multi tool which really gets jammed in the adhesive. 

Any advice?

Will dampening it allow it to come off more easily ?

Many thanks

James

Aldi do an entire set for about £6 when they are in stock, or have a quick look in your local Poundland ..! They do a Tommy Walsh range that I'm sure includes a chisel or two and for a quid it's disposable 

14 hours ago, PeterW said:

Aldi do an entire set for about £6 when they are in stock, or have a quick look in your local Poundland ..! They do a Tommy Walsh range that I'm sure includes a chisel or two and for a quid it's disposable 

Needs to have a thru-tang ( metal strike cap which is part of the whole metal shaft and blade in one solid section ) or it'll just break if hitting it hard, and repeatedly. 

Just to update you guys, new club hammer and chisels arrived today and had a quick go and hey presto suddenly a lot easier.

Hammer weighs a bit :D

thanks all :)

Edited by j_s

Will try. Will need to order some specs actually. Actually I'll pop down the local diy shop in the morning as they are 5 minute walk and an independent.

On a slightly different subject, removing external sealant from aluminium window to brick, what is the best way without scratching the ali frame?

My aim is to better seal the gaps between window and masonry, so I'm starting from the outside with expanding foam tape (like compriband), then using low expanding foam from a gun from the inside.

thanks all.

If it's a silicone, you can get silicone removers. You ( ideally ) need to physically remove as much as possible first ( with a non-metallic scraper ) and then use the remover for the residual sealant.

CT1 Multisolve spray is good. Just spray it on and leave for 5-10mins and then use a cotton cloth to rub it away. That process should avoid scratching as much as possible.