Battening down the hatches onsite, how?

Just seen the weather forecast, looks a tad lively north of the M4. The second blow Tue/Wed night has a 60mph gust prediction for the nearest offshore weather buoy off the Lincolnshire coast.

Any strong wind tips relevant to a self builder?

Top of my list will be to double check the wooden chocks under the static caravan.

Our static is set up on piles of concrete blocks.  But there are also 4 steel stakes driven into the ground and it it wired down to the stakes to ensure it does not go for a wander.

Remove anything and everything from scaffold and make sure that is secure. Add some temporary straps if in doubt.

Remove and store all loose sheet material.

Have a look on WeatherHQ They have live and historical weather data data from loads of weather station, your local airport will be the most likely to tell you what is happening.  Here is the link for Inverness airport. https://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/inverness-%2F-dalcross that I use for sailing weather as it is only 3 miles from the harbour.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

[...]

Remove anything and everything from scaffold and make sure that is secure. Add some temporary straps if in doubt.

[...]

Focus on up-wind stuff first. Wind shadow stuff not too important.

Can't praise windy.com enough. Switch all the bells and whistles except wind and gust  off. Best use of JavaScript and CSS3 I have seen so far.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Our static is set up on piles of concrete blocks. 

Mine sits on 12 block pillars though the final leveling required 10mm to 30mm of wooden chocks and shims.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

This is a valid concern, I don't want any of these to go airborne and crash through my selfbuild neighbour's newly installed windows.

It's quite windy here at the moment.

Gusts of 60-70mph

It's night like tonight when I feel we made the right decision about fitting dense concrete blockwork on the sides that get blasted by the wind and rain.

9 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

[...]

It's night like tonight when I feel we made the right decision about fitting dense concrete blockwork on the sides that get blasted by the wind and rain.

I've still not recovered from this little wind-related incident 2 years go.

And that came from the East (the opposite of the prevailing wind direction), and was turbulent as Hell .... in July. I still ' hear '  the collapsing empty Durisol blocks. And Durisol still - STILL - haven't amended the false claims on their website that you can build without props. (retrieved March 2019)

I already know won't get any sleep tonight - Salamander Cottage is effectively a concrete bunker.  How stupid is that?

I remember that post, felt so sorry for you @recoveringacademic

It would have been relief when you did the last pour.

Fortunately for our site my father in law planted a shelter belt quite a few years ago and this has provided protection whilst fragile stages of the build. 

With the our anchor straps, trusses clips, variable ridge connectors and this week's job nailing 100 framing anchors the structural of the house does feel quite secure in gales. 

41936359_327718751313722_3692152694697227976_n.jpg.02e644723a0e27c994c1bdfc60536ddf.jpg

9 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

I remember that post, felt so sorry for you @recoveringacademic

It would have been relief when you did the last pour.

Fortunately for our site my father in law planted a shelter belt quite a few years ago and this has provided protection whilst fragile stages of the build. 

With the our anchor straps, trusses clips, variable ridge connectors and this week's job nailing 100 framing anchors the structural of the house does feel quite secure in gales. 

41936359_327718751313722_3692152694697227976_n.jpg.02e644723a0e27c994c1bdfc60536ddf.jpg

Oh! I passed right by you in November when we went up to Harris! Had a week keek at the S1 Land Rover further up the road as well :)

5 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I've still not recovered from this little wind-related incident 2 years go.

And that came from the East (the opposite of the prevailing wind direction), and was turbulent as Hell .... in July. I still ' hear '  the collapsing empty Durisol blocks. And Durisol still - STILL - haven't amended the false claims on their website that you can build without props. (retrieved March 2019)

I wonder why they maintain this stance given that BuildHub is so well indexed by Google and your experience is just a few clicks away for any potential customer.

5 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

Oh! I passed right by you in November when we went up to Harris! Had a week keek at the S1 Land Rover further up the road as well :)

I think a few on here have passed where we are building, the kilt rock shown above is a popular place to stop.

Often people take drone shots like this one. 

I sometimes work in the Uists, Benbecula and Barra but never been to Harris or Lewis. 

48 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I wonder why they maintain this stance given that BuildHub is so well indexed by Google and your experience is just a few clicks away for any potential customer.

DURISOL finds communication difficult . Now where have we heard that before?

Properly used the product is excellent. Why allow your incautiously phrased website content to threaten that?