Nu lok system on a mansard roof

Mick kelly

55 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

Is nu-lok that system which uses metal rails instead of normal wooden battens and the 'slates' clip into place?

It certainly is, we did ours seven years ago. Don't believe anything they tell you about not going green. It's true moss and lichen don't grow on the tiles but any tiles permanently in the shade seem to get a green coating along the front edge.

PA230009.thumb.JPG.12b71c14698c6844c003d645ba633734.JPG

8 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

Thanks @PeterStarck. What was the benefit to you? from what few YT bits i've seen it looks like speed is the benefit.I mean, how long  did what I see in front of me there, take to get decked out once all the 'battens' were attached?

It's more DIY than any other system I found at the time. You use less tiles because they butt up side to side and rain drains into the channel under where they touch. The clips spring into the channel and hold the two adjacent tiles. I did the small single storey on the left hand side completely myself. I battened the rest of the roof myself and had some Nu-Lok roofers tile it. They were here for less than a week, can't remember exactly how long. I didn't fancy cutting my teeth on dormers so just did the single storey.

righteeo - thanks for the answer - to start combining questions from the other threads a little. Where you  did that small piece, how long did it take you? Would you still batten and then counter batten with the steel, so in a situation where you might use sarking would the order be;

sarking, battens, felt, counter battens, tiles??

How long did it take you to do the bit you saw there? I'm probably miles off but I would say maybe 3 X 3.5m2?

What if you wanted to use normal PV panels and not their integrated system? Would you just have to use wooden battens where the solar was then switch back to this where necessary?

gassssssp - and breath

20 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

r[...]

What if you wanted to use normal PV panels and not their integrated system? Would you just have to use wooden battens where the solar was then switch back to this where necessary?

[...]

Yes, the in roof solar was placed on counter-battens. Really simple. (Thank God)

14 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

righteeo - thanks for the answer - to start combining questions from the other threads a little. Where you  did that small piece, how long did it take you? Would you still batten and then counter batten with the steel, so in a situation where you might use sarking would the order be;

sarking, battens, felt, counter battens, tiles??

How long did it take you to do the bit you saw there? I'm probably miles off but I would say maybe 3 X 3.5m2?

gassssssp - and breath

The single storey roof is 5.3m x 3.7m. It took me three days IIRC. My roof has OSB sarking and 100mm x 50mm rafters on top with 50mm Rockwool RW6 batts between. Then the membrane and the steel battens on top. The single storey roof was designed for PVs and I am considering fitting PVs panels this year. I would use hanger bolts through the tiles into the rafters for holding the PV mounting bars.

50 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

You use less tiles because they butt up side to side and rain drains into the channel under where they touch. The clips spring into the channel and hold the two adjacent tiles.

Is there an association/concern re. your other post about moss growing on the tiles? I might be reading too much between the lines here but is there a concern about moss gumming up the drainage channel? 

58 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Is there an association/concern re. your other post about moss growing on the tiles? I might be reading too much between the lines here but is there a concern about moss gumming up the drainage channel? 

No, we don't have any moss or lichen growing on the tiles. There is no evidence of any problems at all. When we bought the system one of the advertising claims was that nothing grew on the tiles. The only growth we have on the tiles is a very thin green algae type on the front edge of the tile which can be easily rubbed off and this is only where the tiles never see the sun. The tiles are porcelain and impervious.