Make your own Brise Soleil

MikeGrahamT21

Hi,

We have 2 windows which face south, and cause the majority of the overheating in those two rooms during the summer months, so I'm wanting to put a brise soleil above each window, but I'm guessing the manufactured aluminium ones will cost lots of £££, so I'm thinking to make a couple from timber and paint it 7016 grey to match our window frames.

Does anyone have any ideas on design for the blades? Any one else embarked on such a project?

Regards

Mike

I am interested in this, too (prompted once more by the warm weather and our cooling system coming on!).  @ragg987  made some neat window louvres, see this post:

I've been looking at doing something similar, but would prefer to use powder coated aluminium slats.  There seem to be lots of suppliers for these in Australia, but very few here in the UK.  If I can find a source for the extrusions, then fabricating brackets etc shouldn't be too hard.

1 hour ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

[...]

Any one else embarked on such a project?

I am in the process of making ours now. Its a series of vertical slats suspended between two RSJs, and faces the viewer in the image below.  That corner of the house is outside the heated envelope - at one stage we were planning to glaze it - but its pointless, and expensive. Very expensive.

The sexy term for what we are doing is called making a Breeze Corridor  (Blame Kevin for that one). The architect calls it a design feature, Debbie calls it her Winter Garden, the retired feminist roofer calls it  ' t patiau  ,  I call it fun.  I'm doing a bit on it each weekend.

If needed , we'll make a scaled down version of that design in front of the two windows to the right of the ' patio' . PHPP points to a small theoretical risk of overheating.

PHPP can't make adjustments  for a crap first time, eight-fingered self- builder now can it?

1808125951_home-header14.jpg.5fde96823f58cc70ff8fe89ff5306345.jpg

I was looking on alibaba - lots of suppliers there, if enough interest that could work out well.

I just need to remember to build a hidden mounting in my ICF before we render - I say remember as this is still somewhere in the distance....

• Like 1

I have been hearing good reports of Vincent Timber for nearly 20 years.

I am sure that Kevin McCloud built either a briese soleil or a pergola out of something interesting - was it the fan blades from a jet engine?

Edited by Ferdinand

14 hours ago, vivienz said:

The engineered timber blades/fins for my brise soleil (not home made) were made by Vincent Timber Ltd, who supplied my supplier.

Do you think your supplier would be able to make some custom windows louvres?  I've been hunting around, trying to find someone that can make something similar to the louvres that @ragg987 had made up, in this thread:

9 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Do you think your supplier would be able to make some custom windows louvres?  I've been hunting around, trying to find someone that can make something similar to the louvres that @ragg987 had made up, in this thread:

I would guess that they can, Jeremy. The fins for my brise soleil are beautifully machine elipses in cross section - very nicely worked.

• Thanks 1

I'm probably on an uphill battle as the wife has said now she doesn't like them, personally I think they look really modern, but obviously they do have purpose.

Are there any calculations available for the projection of the canopy based on how deep the window is, and what angle the louvres would be positioned at for shading during summer, but, or are the louvres simply there so its not a solid surface doing the shading?

19 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I'm probably on an uphill battle as the wife has said now she doesn't like them, personally I think they look really modern, but obviously they do have purpose.

Are there any calculations available for the projection of the canopy based on how deep the window is, and what angle the louvres would be positioned at for shading during summer, but, or are the louvres simply there so its not a solid surface doing the shading?

There are a number of shading calculation tools here that might help

https://susdesign.com/tools.php

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cambs said:

There are a number of shading calculation tools here that might help

https://susdesign.com/tools.php

Thanks I'll take a look at these. Company recommendation is good too for the timber, i'll definitely keep them in mind for this and other cladding I'm hoping to do (pending approval from planning of course!).

EDIT: This is a fantastic tool, exactly what I was after! Many thanks

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up on this.

Vincent Timber have a factsheet about Timber Louvre options for Brise Soleils etc which I have attached.

It is one from this rather extensive library of useful information.

http://www.vincenttimber.co.uk/informationanddownloads/index.html

Ferdinand

20190317-Vincent-Timber-Factsheet-Timber_Louvre_Options.pdf

• Like 2