Looking for a temperature logging weather station.

On of the benefits of living on site for a few months is I have observed the local weather patterns experienced at my plot, it is very sheltered from wind but located in a cool air cauldron. The village is surrounded by 100ft hills on three sides or 300 degrees and after moving on site I soon noticed that during still nights the 6am temperature is typically 2 degrees cooler than forecast by the BBC, I assume this is because cold air drains off the hills and settles over the village with a shallow gradient towards the 60 degree gap in the surrounding ring of hills.

I am hoping that in summer we will benefit from a sheltered sun trap and experience a warm micro climate, however I need to quantify the net winter temperature deficit and then consider upgrading my self build's insulation.

Can anyone recommend an outside temperature logging device? My intention is to note the 4am and 4pm numbers each day then compare with RAF Coningsby.  

just temperature, or a DIY weather station? You could do a lot worse than one of the FineOffset units (Maplin used to do them eg) and you can either just look at the display's trend analysis or use a software package like Easyweather or Cumulus.

How technically minded are you? you can knock up a cheap temperature logger using a raspberry pi, having the pi inside and the sensor through a window seal and it will log the information in 5min (or what ever you want) chunks to an excel file

I could dig out the python code i used to this if you wanted to.

17 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

How technically minded are you? you can knock up a cheap temperature logger using a raspberry pi, having the pi inside and the sensor through a window seal and it will log the information in 5min (or what ever you want) chunks to an excel file

I'd like a "system" whereby I've a wireless temperature logger(s) in each room and I can see at glance on say my Android phone what each room is at.

17 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'd like a "system" whereby I've a wireless temperature logger(s) in each room and I can see at glance on say my Android phone what each room is at.

https://blog.tafkas.net/2012/10/03/gathering-and-charting-temperatures-using-rrdtool-and-highcharts/

not done it myself, but it seems the above has.

Before buying hardware I'd look to see if it's compatible with one of the sites like the one below, its a global collaboration to collect weather data...

https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/hardwareandsoftware.asp

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/uploading-weather-data-to-weather-underground

The UK Met office also has the ability to take your data.

I've not looked at how well any of these serve the data back to you.

• 1 month later...
On 01/02/2019 at 15:40, Moonshine said:

Ditto, I knocked up a temperature logger for the office last summer as it got stupidly hot.

Raspberry Pi, Enviro Phat, and 25 lines of code. Timestamps and logs to text file.

On 01/02/2019 at 16:01, Onoff said:

I have a system like that. All a bit ad hoc and the supplier of the temperature sensors has gone out of business so not easy to replicate. It's a prototype; one day I plan to write a proper one for my own use and to open-source.

OpenEnergyMonitor seems like the most plausible off-the-shelf answer. As far as I can see, well packaged but you pay for that.