worst area for building control /planning in UK

scottishjohn

well i think dumfries & galloway can take that title

here is a recent decison on a brick  garage  a man wanted to build on his own ground .

house is within 30yards of river and garage had to placed slightly infront and to the side of house .

then they changed thier mind and said no  garage cos the footprint of garage would cause a rise in the water level when river was in flood !!!!!.

now the river has never  EVER been up that far to start with ,if it did the main street would all be flooded.to about 4ft 

so what was thier work around --fit 6 air bricks in bottom of garage  exactly at floor height ,so if it did flood the water would come in and then run out again .

now a 8x4 garage --will make sod all difference to river hieght if it did flood cos river by this time would be 10-15ft above normal level and twice as wide .

beat that for stupidity if you can 

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

[...]

beat that for stupidity if you can 

Perhaps this could be seen solely as a Planning matter, not a compliance issue?

The Planners did actually help solve the matter.

I very much doubt that decisions at that level are taken purely randomly: a rationale for the decision was given - you may not agree with it.

Pick your fight.

It really varies but I’ve had building control here who have been great, the last guy who came for example was really accommodating and pragmatic, and the plumber said ‘thank God you’ve got him and not ....’. I have also had someone who didn’t even seem to know the regs. He told me that the floor level to the extension wouldn’t be signed off and the only way of accommodating it was a completely structural change. I had no idea how I was going to tackle that but when the other guy came out he looked and said there was nothing wrong with it at all. Luck of the draw maybe. 

There is a trend here. Flood risk.

The builder that built our shell lives next to a river. /His house has been there 30 or more years with 5 others. They have never flooded.  He tried to get permission to build another house in his large garden, and it was refused because of the flood risk.