Choosing a external wall covering (medium exposure)

gravelld

I'd like to know an appropriate wall cladding for a semi-exposed wall.

I realise "semi exposed" is a bit vague, so suggestions for any way to quantify this would be gratefully received! I'll update this OP if I can derive something more measurable.

The wall is currently cement rendered on masonry cavity. The exposed walls are in a poor condition with plenty of "popped" render, paint flaking off, and hairline cracks in newer sections of render on the same wall (where an extension has been built). The joinery is softwood and in poor condition, having undergone plenty of repair in the years prior. Sections of the render are above a GF extension, so access is tricky for maintenance.

The wall is SW facing (so plenty of sun) down a fairly shallow valley. Plenty of wind, but we're not talking W-coast of Scotland.

What are the options? I want to optimise these things (and in this order):

- Maintainability (I'd like largely maintenence free 20+ years lifespan)

- Aesthetics (a fairly contemporary look)

Budget is not mega millions but I'm willing to pay for quality, especially for maintainability and performance. So I'm looking for value, but not bling.

Ideas

- Untreated cladding on 1st floor, render below?

- What do the cement boards look like, really?

- I want to combine this with a thermal upgrade, putting the new covering on external insulation

Edited by gravelld

I'd have thought that pressure-treated feather-edge fencing boards would be one of the cheapest options.  Install horizontally with screws and if the bottom ones start to rot just replace.  I clad a shed like this three years ago.  No problems so far and I think it now looks good (although the shed is in a very shaded spot).  Hoping for a least a 20 year life due to treatment and detailing.

Other options, but no idea on cost:

Corten steel

Tiles/slates

Galvanised steel sheets (a craft centre near us has some walls clad in corrugated sheet & I think they look good)

Glass? (seen a self-build TV programme where part of the cladding was dark reflective glass)

Shower panels??? (plenty of variations!)

Wow some different ideas there David, thanks! Some stuff to look into. Glass would probably show staining as rain dries, right? Just get the window cleaner to clean that too!

About feather edge - I was thinking more contemporary look. Just clarified about budget.

I looked into acrylic render but what I read suggested it wasn't great in more exposed locations. Silicone was better for that?

I'm prepared to listen to suggestions for render, but given experiences here I am a bit sceptical. That's also why having it on the GF is ok (easier to patch, or replace with less scaffolding required).

Maybe this house is just rendered badly...

Sometimes render fails because the underlying brickwork is poor quality- is yours leaving a mortar skin behind, or revealing fresh brick where it has come away? The latter would obviously suggest the bricks themselves are the problem.

Well the popped sections haven't actually fallen off yet, in the main. Just hollow behind and bowing a bit. Where paint has come off, either some old patching up is revealed or in some cases some cement with cracks in it. There's no brick or block revealed.

6 hours ago, Crofter said:

ProDave of this parish has done his house in a EWI woodfibre board with an acrylic render on top- details in his blog

Rather conventional in appearance but could satisfy your requirements!

Indeed I have. In my case it's fixed to the timber frame but it is also recogniosed as an external wall insulation system for masonry buildings. You can also achieve the same with other types of insulation and render, e.g EPS.  In my case it's a lime based render not cement based and I am hoping for a long and maintenance free life for it.