Panel Installation

Big Neil

So irrespective the actual mounting method, is it broadly speaking;

Put mounting kit on roof, Feed a wire from back of panel through the vapor membrane, secure the panel, connect them all up and away you go... (aside obviously from the electrical functioning of it all, i just mean to get the panels on the roof). I shall look at YouTube later of course, but i tend to find it doesn't answer questions in a  basic enough fashion most of the time.

The panels would typically connect together in series to form a string of typically 8 panels, and only one pair of cables from that would enter the house.

Be VERY careful connecting them up, once you get a few in series you have a very high DC voltage, and DC is a lot more dangerous than AC.  The very last connection of each string is the most dangerous one, you must be absolutely certain the other end of the cables are terminated into the DC isolator, and absolutely certain that is turned OFF.  Also be certain there are no short circuits on the cabling.

I would not recommend this as a DIY job, get an electrician who understands the risks and procedures.

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

As someone who DIY,s everything they can, is it not possible to cover the panels in black pvc to stop the panels generating whilstyou connect them up?. 

Over on:

https://simplysolar.supporttopics.com

They have a few DIY systems where they they have hinged panels to prevent "over generation". Mainly solar thermal.

15 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

can they not be mounted before being connected up, well partially at the very least?

Thats the problem, when mounted they are pointing at the sky, unless you are working at night in total darkness the panels will be generating . Hence my question about covering them in black pvc to stop them generating whilst the connection is taking place?

26 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Thats the problem, when mounted they are pointing at the sky, unless you are working at night in total darkness the panels will be generating . Hence my question about covering them in black pvc to stop them generating whilst the connection is taking place?

Isn't that a bit crap, at the risk of sounding a little base. I mean, would re-positioning the connectors not make sense. Maybe put them at the top/bottom so the panels can be mounted in one, then connected a row at a time.

9 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

Isn't that a bit crap, at the risk of sounding a little base. I mean, would re-positioning the connectors not make sense. Maybe put them at the top/bottom so the panels can be mounted in one, then connected a row at a time.

You could use microinverters so it's AC going into the house. If I do fit PVs I will use microinverters so I'm not putting heat into the house in the middle of summer from an internal inverter.