Been told there's a problem with where to put my knob

slidersx200

Placing the order for our doors and ironmongery this week and a supplier has said they would not recommend the knobs we picked for the style of door we want (or in general).

Here is the style of knob:

ae235.jpg

Here is the style of door:

4-panel-white-oak-cw-raised-moulding-78-00945074M.jpg

They claim the issue is that there isn't enough room for your hand to avoid contact with the door stop and raised moulding on the door and the way to avoid the issue is to fit lever handles. Are there any other solutions or work arounds? I have seen tubular mortice latches that are longer - 76 or 102mm instead of 63mm. Any problem with using these mounted at the midrail height?

We'd like to be able to lock the bedrooms to keep the prisoners in, but combined mortice locks appear to suffer from the above problem, so as an alternative I was looking at these:

s-l1600.jpg

Any potential problems or drawbacks with this design?

Finally, for the bathrooms we wanted to add these:

s lock.jpg

Any problems with using these on 40mm internal doors?

Cheers

Michael

the only place you will get a knob on that door is in the mid rail, even if you do use the surface mounted (rim lock) 

there is nothing wrong with doing this really, only issues are they can seem a bit low, and it "technically" will weaken that joint in the door (not enough to worry about AFAIC)

I personally dislike Knobs for a whole host of reasons, this not being a major one, But if that is the style you would like there is no point me trying to dissuade you.

One thing to note is if they are on actual fire doors with the massively oversized door stops make sure you get the REALLY long latches (or longer rim locks)

HTH Ed

Thanks for all the replies guys!

The longest tubular cylinders I've found place the centre of the spindle 102mm in from the edge of the door and the surface mounted locks place the spindle 108mm from the edge of the door.

The longer "side" of the oval handles is 55mm, so it should be 77mm from the edge of the door and if the doorstop is ~20mm thick there should be more than 50mm of knuckle room.

My darling wife has assured me most convincingly that we will under no circumstances be having lever handles. ?

I don't see a problem with having your knobs a little lower. 

Hold on for the controversial bit.......

As as for the need for a 'vacant/engaged' notification on your bathrooms/wc's well to be honest it's rather. 'Public Toilet' and I don't get it.

I'll get me coat......

Turn the doors upside down, then the handles can be higher than normal.

I was at someone's house recently and the original 1930s style panel doors had been re-hung upside down some point. The single square-isa panel was at the bottom and the 3 strip panels were at the top. Didn't ask why

Edited by daiking