False ceiling panel for mood lighting

vivienz

I'm thinking about putting in a false ceiling panel for the living area of oyr open plan kitchen/dining/living area as a means of providing visual separation of the different zones. The light will be diffused uplight around the edges of the area.

Can anyone give me a guideline of how much lower than the main ceiling this type of panel needs to be?

10 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

You've got to think about your celing height as well, to avoid it coming down too low.

That's my main concern, tbh. It's a whopper of an open space and we had the ceiling height increased from 2.4m to 2.7m to compensate, hence wondering how much depth I would lose to this type of effect.

Couldn't you just hang a false panel of say 25mm thickness, carrying strips of leds that have i guess 3mm of height.. ..i cant see why just a 25mm hanging gap wouldn't suffice to  create enough light and shadow to delineate.  Total height loss 50mm.

GF-Plan.pdfGF-Plan.pdfWe have a 150mm reveal in the lounge/kitchen/diner, picture of kitchen from lounge.

1228738107_IMG_02831.thumb.JPG.6645c0551af1fbb5e7cbfec5c6e0380f.JPG

2900mm floor to higher parts, 2750mm to lower parts apart from kitchen island which is raised by 50mm to lift the extractors.  SO a 150mm drop.

I also have a 150mm service void above the ceiling.  (here is the build up).

Picture3.thumb.jpg.66032d9cc3637406c341a9650691c042.jpg

250mm pre-stressed concrete first floor (large span).  The lower dropped ceiling is in the hall where the Ground floor MVHR manifolds are.

The room is 10m by 8m plus the dining room, see plan.

Picture2.gif.be2bd45ac96e4a9228d740145bb355bb.gif

The lighting in the kitchen is 3000K, whilst in the lounge 2700K, giving bright working light in the kitchen and softer light in the lounge.

• Thanks 1