Floor mounted baths and other plumbing snafus

So far, all of our 2nd fix challenges have been plumbing related - no criticism of our plumber, mostly down to our choices and lack of experience.

1) we chose fancy Geberit flush plates and didn't realise we needed to fix a piece pre - tiling. Caught this half way through so have two with surface mount and two perfectly flush.

2) noggins for sinks - put these too high and missed that cabinets usually have fixings at 700mm from FFL for a 800mm sink level -ours are 850mm and that's just catching the bottom of the noggins

3) floor mounted baths. We got beautiful composite stone baths from Lusso Stone but did not make allowance for floor level traps. while they have 75mm clearance under the bath, at the waste its more like 35mm so a standard  1 1/2 inch waste sits too proud. Nick suggested HepVo traps - which have a very colourful trade name that only makes sense when you see one (plumber says that 'you'll never be alone with one) but that was still not appropriate and there are concerns on now well they work horizontally vs vertically (due to trapped hair etc). So we're using shallow bath traps and will have to cut the newly tiled floor - it will all be hidden by the bath but would rather have pre-empted this and put the traps in when the showers were fitted pre-tiling.

Ah well, perfection next time :) 

Have to say, Megabad took back the unused flush plates with no issue and we can process the refund through Currency Fair to get a good rate. Given we bought them a few months ago, it;s probably a small profit ;) 

Edited by Bitpipe

There are lots of things that are "right" that when you first see them you think someone made an "error"

The first was when I first saw a bath panel removed, and I literally laughed out loud at the fact they had cut a hole in the floor boards for the bottom of the trap to stick through. Then my dad told me that was perfectly normal.  Then I tried to fit a pair of bath taps for the first time. If someone had tried to design a fitting (tap connector) with the design brief to make it as awkward to fit as absolutely possible, given the restricted access, then they wold have come up with....... a tap connector.

There are plenty of electrical items that fit this category as well.....

If things were designed to be easy to fit, nothing would be flush, and the bath taps would be along the font side of the bath where it's easy to get at them.

• Like 2

As per the brief convo', cutting the floor to get the bath trap in is commonplace. Even more so with today's extra deep baths, but also with the practicalities / restriction of the entry height ( top of bath from floor ) where being higher than normal is not desirable. 

Fwiw, trying to pre-empty where the bath trap will finally end up, and allow for that to be tiled to, at the correct location, is just not practical. The bath trap issue isn't a failing, it's just how 'it is' so don't beat yourself up too much, plus your not welsh ;) 

:D

Cheers lads, good to know that this is par for the course!

On the waste tile cutout, plumber has suggested putting a generous bead of sealant around the perimeter to prevent water splashes from ever getting in there - any other preventative measures (i.e. sealing the base of the bath to the tiles?)

Don't seal the trap to the tiles, instead buy some 20mmx20mm pvc angle and make an upstand around the opening in the tiles. That'll allow the bath to be removed, negate sealing around the base of the bath ( possible ugly silicone / other on display ) and stop water from doing any harm under it. 

Splashes will soon naturally evaporate so unless your filming Free Willy 3 in there I wouldn't panic too much. ;)

Edit : don't cut right through the angle section. Just cut the piece that hits the floor and then bend it there to form a continuous upstand. Mitre bond and activator will bond it into a rectangle then use sikaflex to bond it down.

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Don't seal the trap to the tiles, instead buy some 20mmx20mm pvc angle and make an upstand around the opening in the tiles. That'll allow the bath to be removed, negate sealing around the base of the bath ( possible ugly silicone / other on display ) and stop water from doing any harm under it. 

Edit : don't cut right through the angle section. Just cut the piece that hits the floor and then bend it there to form a continuous upstand. Mitre bond and activator will bond it into a rectangle then use sikaflex to bond it down.

Dont suppose you have a photograph to explain that last idea.  I'm not sure i understand it?