Scaffolding Checklist? Do we have one?

Triassic

I’m ringing round for quotes for the scaffolding for my TF new build. I’ve tried to read up on scaffolding and any traps or scams I need to be aware of? This got me wondering is there a checklist anywhere?

Ive just measured around the outside perimeter and it’s 81m, that sounds like I’ll need a lot of scafffolding!

Edited by Triassic

I had it mind to get a couple of scaffolding firms to quote,  so as to get some firm costing. Hence my Question about the pitfalls when dealing with scaffold companies.   I then be more able to judge if the DIY Kwikstage approach was worth the effort?  If i go down the Kwikstage route I’ll no doubt give you a call.

Edited by Triassic

22 minutes ago, Triassic said:

[...]

I then be more able to judge if the DIY Kwikstage approach was worth the effort?  

[...]

The  killer for us was the rental fees. A related sideshow was the way the builders simply moved it as and when they wanted making the site insurance invalid and the scaffolder's insurance invalid. The builder's response to me pointing that out was -

" Wodja meen - nuffin rong wiv at, we'm insured. "  

£280 was hemorrhaging  every month while we coped with the collapse of the wall and the knock-on delays. In the end the business case for KwikStage was compelling.

Keep a look out around your area for scaffolding companies doing commercial work. While certainly no guarantee, there's probably a better chance that companies working for larger jobs will have the required paperwork in order.

Another potential idea: have a look through the insurance section of the scaffolders' forum (and maybe other subforums) and see if there's anyone local to you who seems to be making the sorts of comments you'd want to hear.

13 hours ago, Triassic said:

I’m ringing round for quotes for the scaffolding for my TF new build. I’ve tried to read up on scaffolding and any traps or scams I need to be aware of? This got me wondering is there a checklist anywhere?

Ive just measured around the outside perimeter and it’s 81m, that sounds like I’ll need a lot of scafffolding!

I bought some second hand scaffold. Asked round the local pub and found a local who worked for a scaffold company. He erected it it stayed in place for about 10 months. I dismantled it and sold it later. All in all i made £280 on the whole deal. But obviously all the risk sat with me. 

• Like 1

One "con" is that they erect the scaffold and leave you with a schedule of the installed bits. Then when they pick it all up at the end, they tally up and charge you for any losses. Obviously you haven't gone around and counted every pole, clip, putlog etc. A friend got mugged for this, and the contractor was one he also employed for his work and they still ripped him off. They never worked for the company again though.

Edited by Tyke2

5 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

@Triassic what trades are you planning to employ who needs access to the scaffolding? 

Timber frame erection, rendering, exterior cladding, stonework, roofing, guttering, window installation, painting, solaria panels. I think that’s the lot !

Edited by Triassic

12 hours ago, Tyke2 said:

One "con" is that they erect the scaffold and leave you with a schedule of the installed bits. Then when they pick it all up at the end, they tally up and charge you for any losses. Obviously you haven't gone around and counted every pole, clip, putlog etc. A friend got mugged for this, and the contractor was one he also employed for his work and they still ripped him off. They never worked for the company again though.

Ouch!

The guy who ran the crew who did mine wouldn't have had the mental capacity to pull this off. We didn't get a schedule, and I think I'd have baulked at it if we had.

In the end, it took us weeks to get them to take it down. We quickly realised that the reason they were happy for us to keep it for nothing when I asked for a price reduction is that they just used our site as storage. No point disassembling it and dragging it back to their yard if they can just drop by and pick up as needed for the next job. I think they took over a month to take it all after we asked.

We had the thing about checking it all and potentially paying for what was missing. We essentially told the guy to F off. Nothing was missing. Relations had well and truly broken down by then anyway and we ended up paying him more than agreed when the fictitious weekly hire charge appeared from nowhere.  What can they do if you don’t pay? Take you to court? You’ve dispensed with their services by then. 

I’ve had the first of the local scaffolding companies visit the site to take photos and measure up. 

Apparently the build willneed a complicated scaffold as the house is L shaped and has a number of different roof heights.

I'm expecting this quote to be high.

3 hours ago, Triassic said:

Apparently the build willneed a complicated scaffold as the house is L shaped and has a number of different roof heights.

Our's was L shaped and had single storey and double storey parts. It takes them only a little longer to go around the L so it shouldn't be too high a quote.

PA260001.thumb.JPG.030bfc6cdb6de137ca44d4bf7c81d0a5.JPG