Side hung or top hung

gravelld

My windows are generally specced out, need to decide how the windows are hung. T and T was dropped because of expense (and inconvenience as far as I could see). We have to make a decision between top and side hung; both are supported for our dimensions. To avoid me making an expensive mistake, is there anything I have missed or misunderstood here:

Side hung benefits:

- For ground floor, because the opening is on the vertical you have more of a usable gap as you open, e.g. allows passing things out easier (!)

Top hung benefits:

- Can be used easier over counter tops

- Can open and not let the rain in

- Looks more modern (to my eyes)

- Less strain on hinges

I'm thinking top hung upstairs and over counters, side hung downstairs... is this odd?

I came from "down south" where side hung is normal, so in spite of top hung being normal here, we built our first house with side hung.

MAJOR disadvantage. Open it on a windy day, and the wind will open it further (or close it).

New house is built with top hung and I much prefer it.

Side hung may provide better means of escape- hence the use upstairs. But as Dave says top hung is more weather proof.

If you really can't decide, then put the hinges on the longest edge, as that's going to put less strain on them.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gravelld said:

Why that way around?

Side hung upstairs because they are for fire escape. 

Downstairs I have 2 different types of top hung. The front of the house is half the window opens from the top to make it look more like a country cottage and the back the full window opens to match the French doors and back door which are fully glazed.

• Thanks 1

Tilt turn are good on upper floors as they can be cleaned from the inside.  Downside is they will clash with curtains or blinds.

To clean outward opening windows from the inside you need either top hung reversible or side guided, where the hinge slides towards the middle of the window to allow cleaning.

• Thanks 1