Garage ventilation requirements

Alexphd1

These are the only 2 paragraphs you need

Small garages - garages of less than 30m2 do not require the ventilation to be designed. It is expected that a degree of fortuitous ventilation is created by the imperfect fit of ‘up and over’ doors or pass doors. With such garages, it is inadvisable for designers to attempt to achieve an airtight construction.

A garage with a floor area of at least 30m2 but not more than 60m2 used for the parking of motor vehicles should have provision for natural or mechanical ventilation. Ventilation should be provided in accordance with the following guidance:

1. where the garage is naturally ventilated, by providing at least 2 permanent ventilators, each with an open area of at least 1/3000th of the floor area they serve, positioned to encourage through ventilation with one of the permanent ventilators being not more than 600mm above floor level or

2. where the garage is mechanically ventilated, by providing a system:

• capable of continuous operation, designed to provide at least 2 air changes per hour and

• independent of any other ventilation system and

• constructed so that two-thirds of the exhaust air is extracted from outlets not more than 600mm above floor level.

Well my single garage is less than 30 square metres so I have no requirement to ventilate it.

I did not use any air tight tape on the garage itself so I have not "tried" to make it air tight.

The insulated garage door is due to arrive tomorrow.  I don't expect it to be air tight in any way, but probably less gaping great holes than an up and over door.

There is a letterobox in the pedestrian door so that's "ventilation"

I have insulated the walls of the garage to almost the same standard as the rest of the house.

The (fire) door between the house and garage has the usual intumescent strip, and a draught proof strip around all 4 sides.

Originally I had my plant room as off the garage then moved it to be off the utility room so that the garage didn’t go over 60 square metres.

Building control wanted mechanical ventilation if we went over 60 square metres.

Edited by AliG

Just to follow on from the ventilation requirements for a garage. The garage is single block on the side build. What's the normal procedure for krend and vents ie stick vent on to wall then render or render then stick vent on to render. 

Has anybody any decent links for vents, I am looking for a stainless steel but all I have seen so far is isell.co.uk and simplystainless but they are mainly 304 and I would prefer 316 stainless. Have seen a few on eBay but have been stung with poor quality stainless before on there.