Checking that a foul drain has seated in the socket

Triassic

I have a foul drain coming up in the corner of my insulated slab. Doing my final checks ready for concreting next week I realised that the pipe coming up out of the floor was too short and once the concrete  was laid it did not leave enough room to slide the next coupling onto it. So I found a longer peice of pipe, pulled the short one out of the hole and slid the longer peice into place.

Then doubt set in!

As the coupling was hidden below the insulation how could I be sure it has stated properly? I shon a tourch down the pipe, but couldn’t see the joint, do what next? I decided the tie a peice of string to my phone and turn the video on and lower it down the pipe, after a bit of trial and error and with the aid of a small tourch tied a few inches about the phone, I had confirmation, the joint was OK.

If only I could share the video, it’s a sight to behold.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Offer the pipe up so it just touches. Measure what is sticking out.  Then push the pipe fully home and check the amount sticking out has reduced by about 50mm.  If not, it's probably not fully home.

That’s when the doubt set in.   !!

Best gadget I've ever made, bar none, is a dirt cheap Ebay bullet camera, fitted with a ring of white LEDs around the edge and connected to a length of cable, with  12V power connector and phone that connects to any video monitor, or an adapter that plugs into a PC/tablet etc.  The number of times I've used this for checking things, helping to guide cables through hidden spaces, checked for things I've dropped behind things, etc, has paid the modest cost many times over.  It has been so useful that I've even made up a cable reel to stow the cable on.