Timber to timber Joist hangers

ToughButterCup

I need joist hangers for two types of job: one to support a flat roof, the other to support a floor.

Looking at the range joist hangers makes me feel like I'm in a toy shop. I like them all, but haven't got a Scooby about which to choose.

Here's an image search for what's available.

Presumably I would not choose a hanger with a top flange for the POSIs which are under the first floor (because it would make the flooring less even).

Bearing in mind the horror stories related elsewhere on BH,  which should I avoid (cheap?). Or is it a matter of  - they are all OK, it's just how you use them that counts?

9 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Presumably I would not choose a hanger with a top flange for the POSIs which are under the first floor (because it would make the flooring less even).

Face fix rely only on the strength of the nails. Top fix are quite slim anyway and you won’t notice the flanges under the edge of Egger board anyway. They are much stronger imho

DO make sure that you use the correct nails fir joist hangers, I see so many people just use long clout nails, NO, use proper twist nails, that’s what they are made for.https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-square-twist-nails-sheradised-3-75-x-30mm-1kg-pack/12788

i like “fold over the top” type hangers, feels stronger IMO. and they are thin so should not be a problem with flooring.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

Pretty good advice. Fold over joist hangers and proper nails. 

I would have argued all hammers are the same.....but I have found a big difference between end of aisle bargain box hammers in a big diy shed to decent one out of a build merchants. 

Edited by Alexphd1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Thanks Jo. 

I'll need a real hammer then not a nail machinegun

You can get nail guns for fitting metalwork that fire twist nails but they are eye watering to buy and hire. 

Decent hammer, nail pouch and fit the metalwork from the bottom upwards ..... when you’ve got a bracket in your hand you’ll realise what that means !!

• Like 1

As posi joists are a bespoke engineered solution i'd have assumed your posi supplier would be specifying and supplying the hangers as part of the package. Don't their drawings spec the hangers, and include a disclaimer against adapting/modifying without consultation.

• Like 2