Glue for marine ply?

Yup. Water soluble unlike the PU's. You can wipe that off with a wet rag, unlike the D4 which you need a gun cleaner / solvent to remove. 

They don't have gap filling qualities but if your screwing thin ply onto flat decking, at 100mm centres, then you won't have any gaps to fill ;)

As said I've gone from D4 to Gorilla glue, just for a change really as I know a couple of people who rave about Gorilla.

I see some boat builders don't like the idea of the "foaming" action of Gorilla apparently and that they've had failures, maybe Jeremy can comment.

This from the D4 site:

"D4 Wood Adhesive is a solvent free industrial grade D4 wood adhesive based on the latest hybrid resin technology. The result of several years work, D4 Wood Adhesive provides the user with a waterproof  D4 grade wood adhesive with none of the safety issues associated with conventional  isocyanate containing (polyurethane) D4 grades."

I wonder then is Gorilla a "

conventional  isocyanate containing (polyurethane) D4 grade".

Using Gorilla at the mo and tbh I'm "unsure" whether I like it / prefer it to D4.

Tbh EVERY product to date I've had from EVERBUILD (who make D4) has been pretty good, from preservers to additives and roof repair compounds.

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. Water soluble unlike the PU's. You can wipe that off with a wet rag, unlike the D4 which you need a gun cleaner / solvent to remove. 

They don't have gap filling qualities but if your screwing thin ply onto flat decking, at 100mm centres, then you won't have any gaps to fill ;)

Well I wipe off D4 (yellow bottle from T'ststion) with a wet rag no problem at all?

24 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Well I wipe off D4 (yellow bottle from T'ststion) with a wet rag no problem at all?

Because D4 does not mean PU!

that cheap toolstation stuff is D4 standard waterproof PVA based stuff and I've been using it on all sorts from kids craft stuff to flat pack furniture. Much better than basic PVA as it's quicker drying for a start.

The PU glue I get from my local merchant ( and have done for donkeys years ) just happens to be branded D4 :S

It doesn't wipe off with a cloth I can tell you without a shadow of s doubt. Quicker drying isn't always better, as it takes a long time to screw an 8x4 plywood sheet down ;)

So basically what we're saying is don't look to us lot for advice on glue xD

All I know is what I've stuck down is still down. 

More ale please. 

( For the benefit of the masses, tonight will be sponsored by Englands finest....Pedigree. Très Bien ). B|

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

More ale please. 

( For the benefit of the masses, tonight will be sponsored by Englands finest....Pedigree. Très Bien ). B|

I was drinking Hophead from the Darkstar Brewing Co. earlier at the local fete and very nice it was too (£3/pint). Just debating a Hobgoblin (5.2%) or maybe a King Goblin (6.6%).....haven't touched a drop of glue all day tbh.

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

More ale please. 

The finest "Jaill Ale" for me tonigh from the Dartmoor Brewery. There is simply no finer ale and at 4.8% it achieves a lovely warm glow after 3 pints. By 4 I'm nicely relaxed :)

5 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

The finest "Jaill Ale" for me tonigh from the Dartmoor Brewery. There is simply no finer ale and at 4.8% it achieves a lovely warm glow after 3 pints. By 4 I'm nicely relaxed :)

Shpelling mishtakes? xD