One of those days ...

PeterW

Decided that I would take apart a couple of the newer purchases (auction stuff..) and check things like bearings and gearboxes. 

So after a pleasant couple of hours I've learnt three things :

1. Senco stuff is designed to be taken apart and serviced. The collated driver was easy to strip and clean, and a drop of EP90 on the motor bearing stopped it screaming like a chav on a moped. 

2. Senco gearboxes will run without all the bits in them... The sinking feeling when you look down to see the separator plate sat in the parts tray when you go to get the case screws..! Refer to point 1...

3. Bearings don't like degreaser ..!! Took apart the biscuit jointer, which is just really an angle grinder with a posh bit on the front, as I wanted to repack the grease in the gearbox. Quick squirt of degreaser and found the main bearing getting very stiff...! Had to disassemble the whole sodding lot and knock the bearing out to soak it in EP90 before it would spin freely ..! No idea what was going on there but it's all greased and back together ...

Now let's see how long they last !

Ah, maintenance. 

Im one of those stubborn ( or maybe just too busy ) people who drive the tool until it decides that's the end of the road. 

Most if my makita stuff isn't worth the effort or down time. Impact drivers can be bought new ( naked ) for change of £60, 2-speed drills for change of £40, and so on. The only place I draw the line is with things like my Dewalt DWS 780 XPS chopsaw. That's going in next week for tires, oil, filter, and an a full MOT. Nothing worse than wondering if that savage 12" blade is going to come loose and slice you clean in half. O.o  

These are both second hand of unknown origin - the biscuit cutter has a full stack of PAT stickers and looks pretty lightly used. Not bad for £15..!

The screwdriver has had a squeal for a while - plasterboard dust seems to dry out bearings like nothing else and it's a pain that you have to strip something right down to just oil one bearing !

My makita collated driver is a great tool, but I've seen better ones, such as Hilti. Very little in the way of moving parts, so less to go wrong. 

If you ever want to get rid of the BC let me know. ;). I use the router at the mo, but it's a pita to set up, and it's a heavy bugger too. 

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

So after a pleasant couple of hours I've learnt three things :

1. Senco stuff is designed to be taken apart and serviced. T

In my recent world SENCOs are Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinators. They don't like being taken apart.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

My makita collated driver is a great tool, but I've seen better ones, such as Hilti. Very little in the way of moving parts, so less to go wrong. 

If you ever want to get rid of the BC let me know. ;). I use the router at the mo, but it's a pita to set up, and it's a heavy bugger too. 

If you want a cheapish biscuit jointer then the Screfix own brand jobbie is really not bad. I've used mine in anger and its stood up well. My only criticism is it's fairly noisy but as Peter said its just a 4" grinder with a fancy head :)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb372bjc-860w-biscuit-jointer-230-240v/33513

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

In my recent world SENCOs are Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinators. They don't like being taken apart.

I took apart the one in my boys primary school. As much use as a kickstart on a helicopter. Wait for ages for forms, then wonder why there is no response. Then find out she hasn't sent them.......again. 

Just given the head of the comp a deadline to respond to bullying. I knew they'd done nothing when he started stuttering. 

Ofsted next stop. ?

8 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Have a look on Gumtree & Preloved for biscuit jointers. Worth trying a few name variations too as in biscuit jointer/joiner/cutter. There's ones on there for like £25 and up. Thought you'd have one of these tbh:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-BPJ140Z-14-4v-LXT-Biscuit-Jointer-Bare-Unit-/390552178925?hash=item5aeeb950ed:g:hc4AAOSwjMJXCgc7

32 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I took apart the one in my boys primary school. As much use as a kickstart on a helicopter. Wait for ages for forms, then wonder why there is no response. Then find out she hasn't sent them.......again. 

Just given the head of the comp a deadline to respond to bullying. I knew they'd done nothing when he started stuttering. 

Ofsted next stop. ?

We had some minor psych issues caused by the school ignoring and belittling our youngest when she was genuinely ill. The teacher in question got the push partly as a result of it all. Had some long term effects on my daughter's confidence and put her back a bit. We only found out by accident they even had a SENCO. Up until then we'd never heard the term. We had also asked to see the "school psychiatrist" to be told initially they didn't have one and we'd have to arrange it privately. When we went "official" miraculously they found there was one!

The comp ( his first year there ) are very slow responding to why he came home with bruises up his arm, but when his mobile phone was out in classroom time they were on it like a tramp on a kebab. Punished him, confiscated the phone, detention the full monty. 

Hes got ADHD and him having a phone at the end of each day is critical. They won't take it off him again after my 2 cents went in.  Waiting on a phone call today from the head of year, but if I dont get it today I'm going up in the morning to kick some arses. That'll be the 5 time in a year where I've asked for a witnessed, minutes drawn meeting with the heads ( school and year ) for them to generate an official response. 

Give them enough rope etc. 

43 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

And people wonder why I don't want to teach in a comprehensive anymore :ph34r:

Me neither.  Teaching apprentices in tech college was bad enough at times!

Seriously though, I have a friend who teaches in the local comprehensive.  I really do not know how she copes with some of the stuff she has to deal with every day.  Neither do I understand why she sticks at the job, when most evenings she comes home deeply stressed by something that's happened that day.  No matter what teachers do they are going to get it in the ear from someone.  If they comply with school policy then the chances are parents will have a go, if they try and appease parents then the chances are their management or even OFSTED will have a go.  They seem to tread a tightrope, every day, with the worst aspect being that they have been over-regulated to the point where they can't use their common sense, for fear of breaking some rule or another.

Bullying old school like happened in our time when you came home with a busted lip and a black eye was at least noticeable. Nowadays its all done on smart phones. My girl had an Instagram group set up about her and she was heart broken. Same girl who done it take turns on a different girl every few months.  teacher  hadn't a clue what it was all about being old so didn't understand the inns and outs of it. 

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

And there's a huge amount of bullying in school staff rooms folks. Just try being a male teacher in an all-female staffed school.

Yeah, you can grin all you like.... it's not easy.

I can believe it, rather too easily.  I've been friends with a teacher at a comprehensive for around 15 years, and her tales of some of the frankly juvenile behaviour by some teachers towards other teachers surprised me.