Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

Got to be a good feeling getting rid of all that crap...literally! I feel your pain, our house was re-roofed leaving the old flat roofs in place. Once they came up it was a world of rat/mouse/squirrel/bird skeletons and nests inc wasps. Still got an original flat roof to deal with above the lounge. 

Why not then build up the sill layer in expanding foam, cut to 25mm thick and normal pb atop that? Better than nothing. In fact a lot better than nothing. Commercial wet foam systems like "Icynene" work exactly this way. Stick the pb to the foam with low exp. foam and screw to the front batten too.

Now we've said before and will again. DRAUGHTS are the kiddie that make you feel cold. Make damn sure you fill up gaps between "pir" (what we will call Celotex from now on) and the battens even if only a couple of mm.

Edited by Onoff

Really, 2mm?? shoot Ive prolly got a few more than that under PB 1,2 (3 coming back to). Yes it feels a relief to scrub all that.. I go super-do & even into the nooks of the fridge back 'engine' bits in base.. worst job/ critters had tiny placcy tub areas of p*ss & cr*p.. awful job.

Just back to the Q re. the floor. As I said I'm pretty sure, ie it feels like, the floor is culprit no/1 re. cold. Is there anything I can do at all to address this now all is effectively taken up from it-?

9 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Really, 2mm?? shoot Ive prolly got a few more than that under PB 1,2 (3 coming back to).

Too late for 1 and 2. Concentrate on 3 onwards. It will be stacks better than you had before which is nothing.

It must be a relief to get all that horrible mess cleaned up. Hate furry creatures in the house, even the smallest ones, and they are not hygienic either so Mickey RIP along with Minnie! 

8 minutes ago, newhome said:

That's harsh. I have dogs and I dare say there are some who think that about them. They don't roam and crap though. If those cats were good they'd be decent Mickey slayers ? ?

No seriously newhome, when you have sod n'bors who delight in seeing me clear up mess after mess of their cats, having seen them encourage them across my gdn, mess on my hands/ clothes/ into the house.. & catch the damn things eating food prepered in my kitchen off my worktops (& they're amused by this): seriously.. if I hit one with a stone, as I hopelessly try to, I'd be damn glad. (I'm a whippet man me but down on list 'to do/ get'.. alas).

Slow progress.. the plumbing area is causing hassle re. battens. I need some advice on how the heck to C'tex around pipes: surely huge gaps are a given, ie not wise to foam around 15mm pipes.

Gun went solid- took it apart & after explosive episodes, foam everywhere (how much in the gun!!) & cleaner in my eye.. damn thing works again. I'll ask soudal if they want me in their promo ads.

I think leaving the gun on the can, for as long as a week is n/g.  I don't recall asking you chaps re. the time to leave on can MAXIMUM before it might cease up-?

thanks, zoot

Edited by zoothorn

Leave the can on.

Make sure the valve at the rear is screwed fully in i.e. closed.

Sometimes foam dries around the nozzle - you will see the little ball bearing in the very end. You can clean the nozzle up of dried foam with a pan scourer as linked for the mice, or a chunk of wire wool. Sometimes necessary to get the very tip of a Stanley blade around the ball bearing to  GENTLY clear dried foam. Don't go mad and score the ball bearing or it might leak.

On 25/08/2018 at 13:20, Onoff said:

For later access to these pipes and that they look a bit green. I would replace them personally, in copper but with Hep2O fittings (for ease/speed) and bring down the face of the new pb and along.

Here is @Onoff's suggestion re those copper pipes. If you do that you can hopefully slide the Celotex and PB behind the pipes but that's a decision you need to make. If you don't want to do this then you will have hassle fitting the Celotex etc. 

18 hours ago, Onoff said:

Leave the can on.

Make sure the valve at the rear is screwed fully in i.e. closed.

Aha.. maybe that's it, still getting used to the back screw/ tended to leave mid so I'm used to how it flows for a newbie.

Ok reticent, but will leave can on.

--

Yes I read & envied onoff's suggestion re. redoing the whole pipework .. but its just a job too far for me/ it'll take me most a week, inc mistakes etc.. time I just can't add, the sink situation being as it is. Plus it's as much a liability me redoing/ a newbie, as the pro plumbing as it is.. so a Q of C'tex around. And fingers x'd the existing plumbing will last. Just got to make sure of thses ISO valves, not to fk them up re-attatching the new Hep2 stuff on. I'll have my nuts crossed for this.

Appreciated chaps, zoot

Make damn sure there isn't a gap under that grey waste elbow just above the floor that you've missed filling with mortar. Remember, mice will get through a hole the diameter of a pencil!

If you're not going to re-plumb then the pipes are staying where they are. So you will I guess be fitting rectangles of pir in wherever you can  leaving channels for the pipes. Whether you foam fill these channels afterwards and cut flush is up to you. A leak will be a leak and you'll have to rip some of it out whatever. 

If you were being really OCD you'd aluminium foil tape over the infilled bits! Of course then you need to make sure the copper pipe doesn't contact the aluminium foil of the pir! :)

To lose that timber support under the waste you could get a pipe clip?

BTW, does it feel "warmer" in there?

Edited by Onoff

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

I think I did.. oh well its too late now/ I have really done the best I can with this- I just can't do any more, its so tricky & exhausting filling these spaces- its so time consuming it drives you totally insane tbh.. ie all day on no more than 3sqM of C'tex..

Job DONE.

006.JPG

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If you were being really OCD you'd aluminium foil tape over the infilled bits! Of course then you need to make sure the copper pipe doesn't contact the aluminium foil of the pir! :)

To lose that timber support under the waste you could get a pipe clip?

BTW, does it feel "warmer" in there?

Hang on what do you mean copper pipe not contact alu of the C'tex??