Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

Peter sorry I'm confused if I can go back a step.

What I was asking is due to this limescale I see, are the isolators shot.. or good still? do I go with them, or remove them?

I -can- surely connect onto the threaded ends (why not? this has sown the confusion).. bc if I leave them in situ, I have no choice -but- to connect to them. Surely if I 'm keeping them, I just put copper pipe in/ olive/ the old nut back on. No-?

This Hep20 stuff.. now have I got this right I wonder: I am using copper pipe with this hep20 stuff... yes? I don't have to go get 15mm placcy stuff?

And if so, do I also use these metal insert things? or are they solely for placcy 15mm pipe cos its structure is weak in comparison?

Use the isolators - they are fine. You can use the old pipes yes, but you need a minimum of 50mm of clean bright copper with no solder snots or bits on it to connect to Hep2O. 

From that point on you could use copper or Hep2O pipe. I use copper as I’ve been using it for probably 40 years and for visible stuff I still like it. Anything hidden is Hep2O as it’s flexible and easy to run. It has some forgiveness in it too .. 

No inserts needed in copper - correct. 

Have  you got any fresh copper pipe ..??

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

"you can’t connect anything onto those threaded ends anyway"

This is why I'm totally confused as prior to this you say "You will have to use the isolators.."

I keep opening one can of worms after another. Its like when hippy Neil said "oh no, out of the frying pan.... & into another frying pan".

Ah good. Brain fog clearing. Right why was I then pretty much told by screwfix guy that I need inserts I wonder. No bother £10 back- good!

I've got a good 1m of copper pipe/ good condition, but it is used. I can clean up with wet n dry. Never bought new copper pipe before.. don't know where from!

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

As in you can’t just add some sort of new fitting ..!!

Only thing going on those is a bit of copper, an olive and a nut ... 

Yup as I thought/ planned innitially then! (the old nuts I've got), just the odd sentence so easily mis-interpreted.. such is the www/ forums.

Ok much appreciated Peter. I'll crack on then now, stop getting me knickers in a twist mis-interpreting posts.

47 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I know the reason its 38 pages now.. its these double posts by the 'puter. Lokk can we pop it down to say  a rounded ~ 20 pages then it's all even stevens. mods.

@Onoff's bathroom thread is 78 pages so far. Mind you his has been going for over 2 years and yours is almost half that in 11 weeks :D

@Ferdinand, thanks for your input btw.. his is a temp upstand/ sort of the idea.. tho pine isn't up to par..

And a mock-up.. nowt connected or joined yet. Attempting some bits fixing today.. but getting cab tops to be level relative to each other, so the tops can join properly.. is into another frying pan: very tricky with not level floor, cabinets all shift about. Ive set aside all day for this levelling & to fix cab1 in, & maybe fix top1. Christ the time this takes. If Id known Id never had started: timescale/ is totally affecting motivation.

002.JPG

001.JPG

Had some shims thx onoff/ needed. Slow.. progress: went nuts & sink cab IN/ abc, xyz as level as I could, then 2nd LHS. Solid.

Waste bits done (£1.27 for coupler.. reused bits as 3m min grey pipe tom buy, so butchered old bits (full of dreadful oomschka omg!!.. worse than the fkn mice). Waste tested- no leakings- & solid.

Top back off/ a support rail to put under RHS on wall. Then onto cab3,4 to fit. Then cut top2. Im waiting on glue so held up till then.

Then to fit sink in top1- I need to ask Q's on this/ recap.

003.JPG

Edited by zoothorn
  • Like 1

Titebond here! Right one Q Ive been meaning to ask, is the fridge here LHS. I get SO fed up having to bend down to use, esp the veg tray: anyone know of, or what I could sit the damn thing ontop of say a good 2ft s'thing.. needs to beaqr alot of weight (+ microwave on top) anyone done similar?

One major disappointment though I'm lafraid. The terrible, dreadful, insipid cold.. is there exactly as it was before. Its not even a cold day, just a tad of temp drop off.. & my feet & ankles are cold, my nose is cold, & I have a fan heater on. Exactly as it was before I'm loathed to admit.

12 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Titebond here! Right one Q Ive been meaning to ask, is the fridge here LHS. I get SO fed up having to bend down to use, esp the veg tray: anyone know of, or what I could sit the damn thing ontop of say a good 2ft s'thing.. needs to beaqr alot of weight (+ microwave on top) anyone done similar?

Just make a strong "box". 2"x2" frame clad in ply or even maybe cut up a V grade t&g floorboard that's about 8'x2'. The weight going down through the legs.

Sound 'effin dangerous having the microwave up so high for when getting hot liquid stuff out...but if you're happy.

I make the odd bit of stuff like this from old rubbish. A bedside laptop table for my boy from MDF, sits on an old chair base:

20161202_221133

My lad had a really cramed uni flat so I knocked up a "box" to raise the microwave up. Made from a 22mm t&g chipboard floorboard. (In the end it never actually got fitted but hey ho).

20170916_193639

20170923_191901

20170923_191836

20170924_165709

20170924_165721

Let's face it it ain't rocket science what you want, it's a box/table!

11 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

One major disappointment though I'm lafraid. The terrible, dreadful, insipid cold.. is there exactly as it was before. Its not even a cold day, just a tad of temp drop off.. & my feet & ankles are cold, my nose is cold, & I have a fan heater on. Exactly as it was before I'm loathed to admit.

WTF do you expect when you've said the area by the back door has draughts etc?

Have you sealed all the gaps at the pb edges where they join etc?

Then If a door way off that kitchen is open to the lobby by the door then all that Celotex will do zilch! Like being in a car in winter and opening one door.

Haha no the fridge is the lower bit!

Seriously, outside is actually very slightly warmer than in here. Its the floor unquestionably now, as I thought but hoped it was only contributing to some, & the walls were part of the reason. Its absolutlely horrible, unbearable: I have a fan heater going over 1/2 dial, near constant on/ off, aimed at my feet only 4' away.. but my feet are still cold.

You can magine what I had to contend with during the cold march maybe now..  I had to keep active to live/ basically keep warm. This house is almost unliveable in due to this terrible cold issue, I've never known anywhere like it tbh.

10 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Haha no the fridge is the lower bit!

Seriously, outside is actually very slightly warmer than in here. Its the floor unquestionably now, as I thought but hoped it was only contributing to some, & the walls were part of the reason. Its absolutlely horrible, unbearable: I have a fan heater going over 1/2 dial, near constant on/ off, aimed at my feet only 4' away.. but my feet are still cold.

You can magine what I had to contend with during the cold march maybe now..  I had to keep active to live/ basically keep warm. This house is almost unliveable in due to this terrible cold issue, I've never known anywhere like it tbh.

How tall are you? Put a few inches of insulation on the floor and shorten the doors!