Is there a central registrar of councils where CIL is applied?

Is there a bullet proof way to establish if a council applies or has enacted CIL?

I cannot find a definitive statement on my district council's web site about the application of CIL. A phone call to them could result in a work experience teenager picking up the phone and giving false information which feels too random when possibly £4000 is at stake.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Is there a bullet proof way to establish if a council applies or has enacted CIL?

I cannot find a definitive statement on my district council's web site about the application of CIL. A phone call to them could result in a work experience teenager picking up the phone and giving false information which feels too random when possibly £4000 is at stake.

Yes - your PP approval !

It has to be stated on the planning permission as it’s a condition of planning approval. I know of one council that failed on a single application to add it retrospectively to a permission they sent out 2 days after the start of their CIL process - they lost ....

Not aware of an official one, but the Planning Resource website also maintain an interactive map and site section keeping track.

You can register for a free trial which wpuld give you 14 days to research.Alternatively you can stick cache: in front of the link and read the copy on the Google cache.

This is the web link for the map

https://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1212817/community-infrastructure-levy-maps

This thread has much information

48 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

http://cil.quod.com/

Can't confirm it's up to date but it is certainly right for Barnsley

This tallies with what I can find about my local district councils i.e. to the west there is confirmation CIL has been recently adopted (yellow on your map) and in my area there is a news article in a local paper quoting some town councilor winging about a huge lost opportunity to fund local community projects,

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Yes - your PP approval !

It has to be stated on the planning permission as it’s a condition of planning approval. I know of one council that failed on a single application to add it retrospectively to a permission they sent out 2 days after the start of their CIL process - they lost ....

I have found some council meeting notes online where it is stated the council does not view introduction of CIL appropriate for the local house building economy. My PP date was a year earlier than this meeting. Your comment and @Hecateh's web site give me the confidence to ignore applying for exemption from CIL.

10 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I have found some council meeting notes online where it is stated the council does not view introduction of CIL appropriate for the local house building economy. My PP date was a year earlier than this meeting. Your comment and @Hecateh's web site give me the confidence to ignore applying for exemption from CIL.

Seriously that is all irrelevant ..!!!

The legislation that brought in CIL requires it to be notified on the planning permission - and like every law it cannot be back dated anyway .. 

16 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Seriously that is all irrelevant ..!!!

I was using proof through induction i.e. multiple indirect pointers CIL not in effect in my district council.

Time for some proof by deduction as you suggest, there are 100 plus docs uploaded onto the planning web site for my PP so this is going to take some time.

When you buy a plot most of the sales particulars will mention any contributions the buyer has to pay (well they do up here anyway). 

Personally I would email the planning department, quote your planning permission reference and ask them to confirm that as there is nothing on the planning permission that references CIL that you can find your assumption is that it does not apply to this permission and can they confirm. Plus mention that you are a self builder who can apply for an exemption. Say that you phoned but wasn't given a clear answer. 

TBH your solicitor should have noted it at the time of the purchase surely? So maybe a quick phone call to that office might confirm also. 

3 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

there are 100 plus docs uploaded onto the planning web site for my PP so this is going to take some time.

Most of them will be for irrelevant things like neighbour responses etc surely? You should just have to look at the decision and conditions. Seriously, an email to the planning dept should sort it. What LA are you in? 

5 hours ago, newhome said:

Most of them will be for irrelevant things like neighbour responses etc surely? You should just have to look at the decision and conditions. Seriously, an email to the planning dept should sort it. What LA are you in? 

Pretty sure @epsilonGreedy is in the same LA as me - East Lindsey District Council.  I saw a Pdf dated 2017 where they on about CIL not being feasible at the moment due to low residual land values - they just using S106 at the minute.

If you have an S106 liability it will say in your PP if I recall correctly.  

• Like 2

+1 Only what's on your grant of planning permission matters. This document usually has "Decision" in the title online so that's where I'd start.

If it was granted some years ago without an S106 or CIL  you might want to get a move on and officially start work before it expires.  If you need to renew your planning permission they may have an opportunity to add an S10 or CIL if planning policy has changed in the meantime.

Edited by Temp