nod

I’ve purchased a Worcester Greenstar 35cdi boiler 

and a Gledhill 250 litre cylinder 

I asked for a timer clock

and they gave me several options 

I’ve UFH downstairs and nine rads upstairs 

Any ideas?

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I will be using a Horsman Channel plus H37XL.  One of only a few 3 channel programmers so I can have separate times for upstairs heating, downstairs heating, and hot water.

Thanks Dave 

I think that was the point that the supplier was trying to make

timi g up and down separately 

would it be suitable for this model

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

That all depends who plumbs it and what valves they use.

I prefer separate 2 port valves and this programmer will do fine, there are other 3 channel programmers around but not many.

Thanks Dave

ill send him a link now

We have only installed one 3 channel timer in the past due to cost. We usually used two clocks, a single channel and a twin channel clock when we needed 3 channels. EBay was a good source with both clocks could be picked up for less than £35 (for both) . I always liked danfoss times for no other reason than I found them easy to set up but Honeywell, Drayton where both good aswell.

The horstmann used to be very expensive and the only 3 channel in the local plumb merchant but that was a few years go. If down to a decent price then it's s no brainer!

Edited by Alexphd1

Why, one asks probably knowing the answer, would anyone buy a dedicated programmer when a PC, brought a fully functional windows 10 laptop fr £167 last week, and some of THESE which had A-D converter for sensors can control the whole house so much more flexibly. 

Edited by MikeSharp01

Warning!  Do NOT buy a timer with a Service Interval feature as in the post by @Alexphd1 above.

I made this mistake and bought the Si version, and it becomes a useless brick after a year and shuts down.  You can only reset it with the very expensive service interval resetting tool, which costs a lot more than the programmer.  You also need to reset it every year when it shuts the system down.

The "Si" models are intended for rented properties where landlords have a responsibility to ensure boilers are annually serviced.  Unless you intend to use a service engineer who has got the proper resetting tool and make sure that you always get the system serviced and the programmer reset, you will end up with the system just shutting down.

I found this out the hard way - anyone want a free single channel Si programmer that's bricked?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I too made that mistake with the si model, mine is not yet installed so can sell it with 11 1/2 month warranty. Just found an lp111 on Ebay so ordering that one.

Edited by joe90

Good spot, I missed that.

The si should be supplied deactivated but the danfoss can be reset over the phone with a code but only for a gas safe engineer. Still safer without the si part. 

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/06/2018 at 20:23, nod said:

would it be suitable for this model

Check with Worcester first as that boiler may have pump overrun. If it does, you need a 3-port mid-position valve and to go Y-plan. With overrun you cannot use 2-ports and S-plan ;)