Skip License on a Private Road

Do I need one? The skip will sit on the normal parking space outside the house.

The road is a cul-de-sac not maintained at Council Expense, however nor is it gated.

I am not convinced that the Council will know the correct answer to this. The operative term is “on the public highway”, which is nebulous.

Ferdinand

Isn’t it more about whether members of the public have access to the road? So roads closed to the general public should be exempt but those that aren’t will require a license I imagine. 

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

Isn’t it more about whether members of the public have access to the road? So roads closed to the general public should be exempt but those that aren’t will require a license I imagine. 

It does not seem to be clear.

Different definitions in different places.

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I would do it without a license, depends if your neighbours would report you, who,s to know, as you say it’s not a public road?. Are there skip inspectors?

i was rebuffed by usual skip company, who said check with the carncil. Inevitably, the phones were not being answered.

Fortunately the other one just accepted the order.

This Road has the first part adopted, but not the last 200m, where the house is located.

Cheers.

F

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, newhome said:

If it’s a cul de sac it’s not as if you’ll have traffic screaming through one imagines. 

Yep.

It is not even clear whether councils think that licenses apply to ‘highways’ or ‘public highways’.

But I have my skip.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

41 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Do I need one? The skip will sit on the normal parking space outside the house.

If that is a marked out parking space allocated to you on the deeds, I would say no.

Isn't the issue one of occupying and potentially blocking the public highway?  Putting a skip in a marked parking space off a private road does not sound like blocking the highway.

The skip company probably know the law better than the council and I would take their advice.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

If that is a marked out parking space allocated to you on the deeds, I would say no.

Isn't the issue one of occupying and potentially blocking the public highway?  Putting a skip in a marked parking space off a private road does not sound like blocking the highway.

The skip company probably know the law better than the council and I would take their advice.

It is an unsurfaced road beyond the end of an adopted road. The space is in front of the house, the ownership of ground either extends to the middle or is unclear ie still with the original developer so in extremis no one can enforce anything (haven't dug the deeds out), and the space has been used for the house for at least 25 years. Maintenance work when needed is done by cooperative whip-round, and there is no history of problems.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

Are there skip inspectors?

Yes, but it will be reactive.

If they find you in breach round here it is pricey:

Charges

Via charge skip companies £33 for consideration of an application to place a skip on the road. This is a non-returnable charge per application made.

A further charge of £7 is made if an invoice is requested, to cover our administration costs.

Skip permits are granted for two weeks initially and can be extended for a further two weeks free of charge. However, after this time a new permit will be required.

If a skip is placed on the road without a valid permit Via charge an inspection fee of £68 in addition to the £33 permit application fee - a total of £101.

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/transport/licences-permits/skip-permit

They can't decide whether it applies to Highway (text) or Public Highway (title).

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/media/114987/skipstandardconditions.pdf

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Nice legal grey area.... a highway definition is normally extended to the definition “highway maintained at public expense” although there is some case law that identifies a highway being where the public have unfettered right of access ... this is where you get into the realms of private property and trespass however unless the skip is going to cause an obstruction I would not worry too much. 

• Thanks 1