I hate all tradesmen

Back on topic I remember the first time I attempted apply flashing to a polycarbonate roof where it abutted a pebble dashed wall. All the gear and no idea! I seem to recall I cut a wobbly slot with a Kango 100/115mm grinder...which killed it. I then attempted to fit that self adhesive flashing and feed the edge into the slot which I then siliconed in.

Not pretty!

• Like 1

Just now, Onoff said:

Back on topic I remember the first time I attempted apply flashing to a polycarbonate roof where it abutted a pebble dashed wall. All the gear and no idea! I seem to recall I cut a wobbly slot with a Kango 100/115mm grinder...which killed it. I then attempted to fit that self adhesive flashing and feed the edge into the slot which I then siliconed in.

Not pretty!

You sure YOU didn’t do my roof ?

looks like your handy work ...

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

If Tufty’s not in your roof then he’s off the hook ;)

The company was called “fix it” more like bodge it .

Even gave me a receipt and circled the “10 workmanship guarantee “ bit ?

Like I said elsewhere ; they actually think they’ve done a good job ?

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Nowadays I'd be affixing a temporary batten cut at the appropriate angle and running the grinder along with a stone disc or diamond blade in for that perfect slot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Onoff said:

Nowadays I'd be affixing a temporary batten cut at the appropriate angle and running the grinder along with a stone disc or diamond blade in for that perfect slot!

Me too it would seem 

So what do I do when a lump of stone with edpm on it sticks out too much ? . Cut the stone face ? Or just let the flashing ‘drift’ out ( won’t be tight to the stone then )

5 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

I think you're going to need lead (or other flexible) flashing to be able to cope with the bendy bits...that solid stuff won't do for that wall.

Huff ! I’ve just ordered the metal flashing !

Just now, Onoff said:

Just read through it. So have you not got 150mm vertical epdm coming up everywhere at the base?

Yeah 150mm is up at the edges . Problem is it’s just glued to the rough stone work with living accommodation below . So in time , water runs down stone and behind edpm - hence the flashing .

I also think the tradesmen was less concerned as concrete is to be poured over the edpm as well . But this will shrink and I suspect a hairline crack at the edges .

9 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah 150mm is up at the edges . Problem is it’s just glued to the rough stone work with living accommodation below . So in time , water runs down stone and behind edpm - hence the flashing .

I also think the tradesmen was less concerned as concrete is to be poured over the edpm as well . But this will shrink and I suspect a hairline crack at the edges .

Which is why CT1 was invented ;)

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Which is why CT1 was invented ;)

Are you suggesting no flashing just magic CT1 smeared over the edges ? . Never used CT1 - and before there’s a panic I am doing to the flashing !!

Edited by pocster

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Not at all, of course fit the flashing !

CT1 will sort any suspect areas out after the final install is complete. A bit of reinforcement in the obvious ares where / if necessary. 

Mission received and understood! ?

• Like 1

Just now, joe90 said:

If you have the odd Lumpy stone you could chisel it back a bit to give a “more” level finish for your guide batten, anything below the flashing will be covered anyway.

Yeah but the lumpy stone has edpm over it . Is it ‘safe’ to cut the lump and edpm out at that point then patch later ?

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah but the lumpy stone has edpm over it . Is it ‘safe’ to cut the lump and edpm out at that point then patch later ?

Could you not peel the Edpm back to allow removal then stick it back with CT1 then the Flashing?

Edited by joe90

Just now, joe90 said:

Could you not peel the Edpm back to allow removal then stick it back with CT1 the. Flashing?

Don’t know . I *assumed* once it sticks it sticks ? . That not the case ? . Is there nothing ct1 can’t be used for ? ?

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Don’t know . I *assumed* once it sticks it sticks ? . That not the case ? . Is there nothing ct1 can’t be used for ? ?

It's crap on leaking hydraulics! :)

• Haha 1