More National Parks on the way?

Ferdinand

LI see that Mr Gove is proposing an expansion of National Parks. The policy group is lead by one Julian Glover, who I think is a former Cameron assistant.

This area is I think devolved so probably England only, and it seems to be related to turning AONBs into NPs. 

To my eye the big change will be a regionalisation of Planning Policy in the hands of NPs (small c conservative Nimbys?) away from local councils. I think it will affect middle england Cotswolds, Bucks etc, as the non-urban peripheries / North have National Parks coming out of our ears already.

Currently NPs are iirc about 10% of England and AONBs 20%.

What will the impact be? How does dealing with an NP compare to an LA?

I expect this will be on Countryfile this Evening.

Report:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44268724

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Guest Alphonsox

There is also mention of creating a couple more AONBs (Forest of Dean and Herefordshire Black Mountains).

EDIT - Interestingly there is still no mention of any National Parks in Northern Ireland.

7 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

There is also mention of creating a couple more AONBs (Forest of Dean and Herefordshire Black Mountains).

EDIT - Interestingly there is still no mention of any National Parks in Northern Ireland.

Devolved? And even though Direct Rule is in place that would presumably be the NI office rather than DoE.

The NI Office is probably in a Brexit Border haze at present, perhaps ?. Bigger fish?

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Alphonsox said:

Is the Mourne area not classed as an aonb?? 

So not long back one arm of government said we need to build more houses and we will relax the rules etc etc.

Now we have this, effectively saying more national parks = much harder to get planning to build the more houses we need.

There is nothing like joined up thinking in government, and THIS is certainly not joined up.

Remember that this will be England only.

I will be interested to see what they come up with. Gove is a genuine reformer, and has done things in every department - personally I regret that he did not get a chance to continue with prison reform.

F