Small Self Build Development in Shropshire

Wrekin1

Hi everyone,

I'll keep this brief as I just spent an hour with an introduction and lost everything I was wrote. The joys of the internet!

My brother and I have a small self build development (3 * 4 bed houses - approx 165m2 each) and as the O&G jobs market (where I have spent most of my career) is pants I'm taking a year out to project manage the development. We have OPP and an architect selected to move to the Detailed Planning Application

I am totally new to this and on a steep learning curve! Very steep. No doubt I'm going to make a ton of mistakes but that's why I'm happy to have found this forum. I'll apologize in advance for my 'stupid' questions but I'll be more than happy to receive any help and advice as I go along, and for anyone interested to share my own experiences.

We have decided on timber frame and I'll be breaking the major construction phases into lots to send out to bid to prospective contractors.

I'm currently using the time while I wait for the detailed drawings to build up detailed cost spreadsheets (no doubt because of my background more detailed than I probably need). I'm using the latest Housebuilder's Bible model house and will update for the actual measurements for the final drawings. Hopefully, if I've got it right, these will feed through all my quantities automatically.... well that's the plan anyway :)

I'm sure this isn't the right place to ask but one thing I am struggling to find is a definitive set of conversion tables to convert items that have to be bought in bulk/volume into m2/m3 (with appropriate wastage %'s) so would appreciate if someone can point me in the direction of the right forum on here.

Looking forward to sharing lessons and experiences with everyone

Wrekin1 / David

Welcome.

Is this something covered by Spons?

I have always found the Wickes How To Guides useful in specific topic areas:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/how-to-guides

I suspect we need a Checklist of Reference Sources. 

You can find our existing checklists via the Tag:
http://forum.buildhub.org.uk/ipb/tags/checklist/

I have never used one, but there are cost-estimating services out there. that some have found useful.

You could probably also benefit from our thread of savings ideas:

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Welcome.  Sounds like an interesting project.  

I have a friend who's a O&G project manager who's just taken six months off work to project manage a significant extension to his house.

7 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

What is O and G?

I was thinking of those two old men from the Muppets, but that is Wenlock and Mandeville or Statler and Waldorf or something.

It is actually Obstetrics and Gynaecology.

Projects tend to be 9 months in duration.

Or possibly something else involving Oil and Gas.

Edited by Ferdinand

Welcome aboard David :)

For big posts, a few here use a separate machine / text medium ( like word ), and paste it in. This forum has draft auto save but you need to be connected to t'internet in order for it to back up your post ( prior to posting it ). 

Weve tried it and it works ok, and the text should be there when you go back to type in the editor box. Check your connection prior to 'pausing' midway through a long post. ;)

^^

The caveat is WHEN you are connected to the internet.

I typed a long post once, went to submit it, and found my router had crashed, which alse meant it had not auto saved anything.

Now, before hitting the button, I highlight the whole text and control C to copy it to the clipbaord as a further backup in case of internet connection problems.

Everyone, thanks for the welcome and suggested links for the conversions.

Re. Wickes or other store calculator - everyone is happy recommending them? It's just a question (I have a lot to learn) but am always wary when businesses are in the business of selling :)

Re. O&G, in my case it's Oil & Gas - apologies for the confusion

Re. the long posts going AWOL - thanks for all the advice and I'll try to remember to do the Word/Clipboard trick if I think it's going to be a long post :)

10 minutes ago, Wrekin1 said:

Everyone, thanks for the welcome and suggested links for the conversions.

Re. Wickes or other store calculator - everyone is happy recommending them? It's just a question (I have a lot to learn) but am always wary when businesses are in the business of selling :)

Re. O&G, in my case it's Oil & Gas - apologies for the confusion

Re. the long posts going AWOL - thanks for all the advice and I'll try to remember to do the Word/Clipboard trick if I think it's going to be a long post :)

I'm happy recommending Guides I have found useful, but always treat them with a smidge of scepticism, and sometimes substitute products.

If you are starting from scratch there is somethnig to be said for visiting your Wickes and getting a complete set of printed ones.

If the Guides were dodgy from big stores, their reputation would be damaged imo.

Edited by Ferdinand

14 hours ago, Wrekin1 said:

Ferdinand, thanks and yes I take your point about their reputation.

It is worth noting that you will also make mistakes :-), and cost extra money, and kick yourself.

If you can find one, it may be worth finding a "mentor" - an experienced self-builder or PM willing to look over your shoulder and point out potholes and pitfalls before you hit them.

I am talking about basically paying or finding for free a mentor / sounding board who has done a similar project before. Could be paid in kind, in cash or in beer/wine.

I am not aware of any easy ways of doing it, but if you can find a reasonably local one it may be worth it.

Good advice could easily save you a few thousand or make your houses nicer.

Were I building someone I would ask one of a couple of retired architects I happen to know.

Ferdinand

On 08/07/2016 at 07:08, Ferdinand said:

It is worth noting that you will also make mistakes :-), and cost extra money, and kick yourself.

If you can find one, it may be worth finding a "mentor" - an experienced self-builder or PM willing to look over your shoulder and point out potholes and pitfalls before you hit them.

I am talking about basically paying or finding for free a mentor / sounding board who has done a similar project before. Could be paid in kind, in cash or in beer/wine.

I am not aware of any easy ways of doing it, but if you can find a reasonably local one it may be worth it.

Good advice could easily save you a few thousand or make your houses nicer.

Were I building someone I would ask one of a couple of retired architects I happen to know.

Ferdinand

Ferdinand hi,

All good advice.... and yes I fully expect to make mistakes :) Fortunately I seem to have dropped lucky with a builder/PM who does a lot of work in the village where I'm living and who has offered provide advice and feedback for the odd pint or two.