Stair Nosing

Ralph

My understanding of the building regulations is that they require a nosing overlap of at least 16mm on all domestic stairs.

From a purely aesthetic point of view we wanted a flush nosing giving the stair a very boxy kind of profile. This is required in public buildings for trip hazards, I can't really understand why there is this difference in domestic and public but there you go.

So, does anyone think that we could get away with a kind of z shaped profile of the stairs? I think it would give us the 16mm required overlap but still maintain the feel of the flush nosing. 

Thanks in advance.

Ralph

I think it’s all down to your building inspector and what he will accept, it’s been said on here many times that there is no consistency with building regs around the country. Give him a call and he will son tell you what HE will accept.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Have a read of your relevant building regs. For instance Scottish building regs allow no nosing, or the Z shaped profile you are talking about for a private stair.

Bingo ProDave, I had been taking advice of our kit builder and had looked at the English building regs not the Scottish ones.
The Scottish ones state, 'However a private stair may be constructed with open risers and without contrasting nosings as occupants will be more familiar with the stair through frequent use.'

Looks like we are good thanks for the info.
Step profile examples

• Like 1