Putting gas pipe in duct, do I need a registered gas fitter.

MikeSharp01

There have been discussions about this before

that seem pretty definitive but I thought I would clarify. I am ready to lay the gas duct from the external meter box under the soon to be laid slab and to bring it up in the plant room. Will be Yellow duct and I will try and keep the bends as smooth as I can. I can put the Trac Pipe in the duct ready. (The end near the meter box will be vented once the main install is complete). The connection to the meter will happen with the main install as I need to slide the trac pipe down the duct below finished floor level, pull it back 300mm, as the whole slab is being polished and the gas duct, along with all the other ducts, will finish in a sealed sunken pocket that will be opened once the concrete is set. My question is this. Do I need a gas safe engineer to witness any of this if the trac pipe is essentially free in the duct, so it could be withdrawn and pressure tested if needs be? AND If I do need one to check the ground works and pipe install what form of words do I need to get from them to ensure that the person who gets the install of the gas system will accept the witnessing if, for some reason, it cannot be the same person? Finally I wonder if @PeterStarck ,  @oranjeboom or any other East Kent dwellers can recommend a gas safe engineer (The main boiler will be a Vaillant) .

7 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The grey area is the depth and integrity of the ducting. Any GSR'd fitter who values his freedom will refuse to connect to a pipe he / she hasn't seen being laid. 

If they we're happy, id not want them within a mile of the job. 

What about if you took photos or a video even of the trench say with a tape measure held to show depth?

10 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Finally I wonder if @PeterStarck ,  @oranjeboom or any other East Kent dwellers can recommend a gas safe engineer (The main boiler will be a Vaillant) .

The only gas engineers I have used in this area were R G Williams in Deal for my LPG boiler in my last property. I didn't have any problems with them.

As BCO isn't involved after the gas meter, its all on the GSR'd fitters head. If they dont see depth and integrity of any aspect of the gas run, then they really should be refusing to connect gas to an already installed pipe. Its not like chucking an MDPE gas main in for the gas board, where they really dont care that much if they get to see it all or not, this is all one guys responsibility. 

Id have thought they'd be happy to witness the duct being backfilled with the pipe in it, if theyre invited to cap it and pressure ( drop / tightness ) test it as a purposeful visit, but it would be down to the GSR'd fitter tbh.

Its them you need to ask not us.   ;)

I think my mate John the chippy's son in law is GSR. Has a caravan down in Herne Bay. I know he can do the UVC checks as well as I was talking to him if I went that route. I'll ask.

Not having gas, GSR isn't a worry for me really.

(NOT his permanent place of residence I hasten to add).

2 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Ok so I need a GSR person next week to get things moving. How deep will they expect @Nickfromwales ? Will be about 500 below soil level and 600 below slab.

I'm not GSR'd so I don't have the latest copies of the relevant documents, or any amendments thereof. 

A gas pipe can be surface mounted externally, exposed, but I'm not sure of current legislation in Engerland wrt burying it which may be different to Wales, so pointless me ringing my guy as the info may not be relevant to you. 

Time to get on't phone lad. 

Edited by Nickfromwales

I guess it all depends how well you know your Gas Safe engineer.

I have already laid a duct through the foundations that comes up where the kitchen island is.  If (and it is still if) we have a gas hob, then my Gas Safe engineer has instructed me to thread the pipe through, lead it round to where the LPG bottles will go, and he will come and connect the ends and issue the certificate.

Yes we had the same with the LPG chaps when we did the rebuild at Millstone manor. We laid the pipe from the proposed tank position to the house entry point. They did the rest but as there is no meter I guess things are different. Anyway have started gathering names of local worthy plumbers from neighbours. 

• Like 1