Structuring the Data

I think the “problem” was defining what was meant at first. Now we have clarified that I can see the benefit. 

Getting some sort of key facts about a build around PV/ASHP/etc etc with size, location, cost per sqm, down to window supplier and choices would work well. 

So as @newhome said, you draft it and we can critique ..... ?

4 minutes ago, ultramods said:

@newhomedid I mention I have a house build to PM? ;) 

Seriously though I would have been happy to develop something, however from the comments there seams to be resistance to it and or people don't think it's required or would be useful.  

Personally I think it's a great idea. I would certainly have benefited from reading such summaries before I started my build I'm sure. Everyone will have their own idea about what good looks like but it needs someone to take the first step. I'm sure you have time to draft something before your build starts in earnest :)

@ultramods Not so different from what our old mate lineweight is suggesting over at the other place.

http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=15720&page=1#Item_30

It is amazing how quickly this sort of idea gets criticised and not acted on (my very first post was about open source housing and got bogged down in irrelevant detail) and being told it is too hard and that there are too many variables.

I would have thought that was the whole point of implementing good practices rather than letting everyone reinvent the wheel, or a thermal break, or a gutter and downpipe.

What may be useful are some static pages that show basic principles and formula used, maybe even a simple calculator, oh hang on, that has been suggested before and not happened as someone may have an out of date browser. >:(

• Like 1

I think that is totally missing the point that Ultramods is making.

There are plenty of resources on the WWW and Buildhub is just one of them.  If the site is to succeed as the premier self build site, then it has to have easily accessible high quality information.

Not just a library of links.  We have Google for that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I think that is totally missing the point that Ultramods is making.

There are plenty of resources on the WWW and Buildhub is just one of them.  If the site is to succeed as the premier self build site, then it has to have easily accessible high quality information.

Not just a library of links.  We have Google for that.

But @ultramods has clarified the point he was making which is to provide a structured approach to documenting individual self builds containing data, reasons for choices, and other useful info. 

Edited by newhome

My point is simple. @ultramods's proposal is generous: but massively difficult. 

If it were easy, the problem would have been solved years ago. BH isn't the only immensely valuable online Community of Practice: with messy data. I simply caution - the job of structuring that data is huge. I would hate someone to start such an enterprise  without appreciating the difficulty of the task. 

You are right, @SteamyTea, nobody else is talking about a list of links either.

If someone believes they could have a go at producing some form of synthesised structured information based on BH data (any BH member that is) they are free to do so. Where online it is published matters not a jot. Linking to the structured data is trivial.