Building regs approval

So we are in the middle of compiling our building regs stuff, on talking to my architect he stated that we can submit our drawings and then after 48hours start work,

im confused as I thought they had to be approved first. 

Im not talking about a building notice which I know about, this is a full plans submission. 

Anybody ?  

@Russell griffiths

are you using the Local Authority for building control or an Approved Inspector?

LA inspectors still use the 2 submission systems you described, however in my experience most Approved Inspectors are more flexible in the way they work and will approve things as you submit them. Make sure you discuss with them the most important items first - IE the things that can’t be easily changed later such as Fire Regs compliance, Part M issues, drainage etc.

19 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Sorry, we will be using the local Authority, I can’t see any reason why someone would use a private company when our local council are so cheap I had to ask if the price was correct. 

Yes we did the same as it was much cheaper

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Sorry, we will be using the local Authority, I can’t see any reason why someone would use a private company when our local council are so cheap I had to ask if the price was correct. 

Because a private BCO is more likely to be helpful and pragmatic, unlike council  types whose only mission in life is often (not always) to make your life as difficult as possible. Obviously if you do get a sensible council BCO, then its all good.

On my garage, council wanted 3m deep trench foundations. Private BCO was happy with a raft.