Building in Winter?

On 6/28/2016 at 09:51, Barney12 said:

[...]

I've even considered seeing what the cost of a scaffold wrapped structure would cost to protect the frame? 

[...]

I notice that nobody seems to have addressed this aspect of Barney's post.

Does anyone ( @VIPMan ?) have a story to tell about the costs and benefits of sheeted scaffolding, please? I'm sucking my teeth wondering about whether we should get  some sheeted scaffolding up as soon as the foundation is in?

Is the issue protecting the frame? or progressing the build quicker by allowing work to continue on a wet day?

If it's protecting the frame, I would not worry. I am just cladding the frame of my garage that's been open to the elements for 10 months now.

7 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I notice that nobody seems to have addressed this aspect of Barney's post.

Does anyone ( @VIPMan ?) have a story to tell about the costs and benefits of sheeted scaffolding, please? I'm sucking my teeth wondering about whether we should get  some sheeted scaffolding up as soon as the foundation is in?

The Grand Design with the Geodesic Roof Structure in Whitehaven (?) or Cumbria did that if I recall.

Ferdinand

Since I've been asked for my experience re tented (sheeted scaffold) I thought it would be polite to respond.

The architect specified this and we didn't quibble since our site on the edge of Lancaster is very exposed on the SW and NE sides with nothing much in the way from the Sea a couple of miles away. The wrapping seemed much the same as used on Centre Point in London for their fairly recent refurbishment work. Lancaster at roof level is clearly much worse than the top of Centre Point! We found the side wrapping lasted about three weeks before we needed the scaffolders back to re fix. Surprisingly the roof was fine throughout.

I don't know what the extra cost was but the main contractor and I (I was on site every day) thought that it made the site much drier and kept work going when the site would otherwise have been too wet/icy and simply too hazardous to work. (This was the stage with no roof and windows.) Later in the build the sheeted scaffold was required for the external insulation to be applied and rendered in November 2015)

If you can build quickly and avoid winter or build in a very sheltered site I think it is not required and the additional expense avoided.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, VIPMan said:

If you can build quickly and avoid winter or build in a very sheltered site I think it is not required and the additional expense avoided.

Such a small word  '...If...' 

Thanks for the response - from your lovely warm, new cosy passivhaus. I'm in B+Q in the morning to get some paint. If you need any newts, I'll bring the morning's crop round to yours.....:ph34r:

31 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Such a small word  '...If...' 

Thanks for the response - from your lovely warm, new cosy passivhaus. I'm in B+Q in the morning to get some paint. If you need any newts, I'll bring the morning's crop round to yours.....:ph34r:

Must have walked past B+Q when you were inside! (I was on the way to Wilko's to get Glenys more disposable gloves - the rate she gets through gloves applying the Osmo to the wood floors!)

Today I said that I would pay a visit to recoveringacademic when we finish our project 'cos I'm sure I will get bored without a major project on my hands.  Not sure what I could help with at your stage of 'the build' but I suppose I could hunt for newts. Ian, please feel free to pop around and check progress etc etc.

11 hours ago, VIPMan said:

I was on the way to Wilko's to get Glenys more disposable gloves - the rate she gets through gloves applying the Osmo to the wood floors

See if you have a tattoo suppliers near you. We use the black nitrile disposable gloves and they last far longer than any others and they also have a fingertip grip. 

Not cheap at about £8 for a box of 100 but they are far better

• Like 1