Anchor straps

Thedreamer

Our structural engineer's plan show that we are to have anchor straps @ 1200 cts, at the internal loadbearing wall or racking wall. 

Might sound a bit daft but is a racking wall the same as the perimeter wall?

Yes as above. most of out external walls were specified with 2 layers of OSB to give the required racking strength and the 2 internal load bearing walls were also specified to have OSB cladding so they are racking walls as well as supporting walls.

It's to stop the wind blowing the building over.

You will also find all the components in a racking wall have to work together

for example it is no good having a very strong wall that is not secured to the floor correctly, if laterally pushed or pulled it would lift from its base so not performing as it should, hence the floor strapping. 

I found in our last timberframe place that even the nail spacing was specific to the design of the wall. 

The 1200mm spacing is usually in line with a standard plywood bracing sheet, so sheeting is normally placed vertically so 1200 along and 2400 high. 

Thanks for the comments guys, that's very useful.

We have two load bearing walls in the middle of our timber frame. These straps are shown as being under the block work which will then be attached to the studs.

I also see from reviewing the plans again that we have the same anchor straps on the external layer of block work.

So when the initial block work is completed I should be left with a load of anchor straps in the air waiting to be nailed to the studs?

23 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Sort of like this. 

F7CFDCE1-8303-4C6B-AD64-4AA0AC02D0F6.jpeg

Yes that is what I was expecting! I had a look on a few blogs and couldn't see the straps to the number I was expecting per my SE plans. Perhaps sometimes these are attached by heavy duty masonry screws rather than being under the blocks like the diagram above?

Edited by Thedreamer

Our frame is held down with steel hammer fixings through the inner sole plate to holes drilled in the slab ring beam.  Pretty quick and easy to do, with no requirement for awkward straps.  Using fixings through the sole plate seemed normal to our building inspector, but he hadn't seen the steel expanding sleeve hammer fixings that our guys used, so asked to see a sample.