Identifying and Reviving old tools

Stones

A two part question.

I've just been sorting through a box of old tools that came to me from my late grandfather, and have come across a couple of things that I'm at a loss to know what they are for:

P5270094.JPG

I've had a look through a couple of catalogues but can't find a match.  Any suggestions?

There are also a number of good quality British made tools, which seem to be a lot better quality than most of what's available today, but could do with some TLC, to bring them back to life:

P5270095.JPG

Whats' the best way of reviving tools like this?

The top one is obviously a spanner. Some special servicing tool for something or other.

The bottom one I would expect to clamp to the edge of a bench with the silver rod upright. To hold something but i can't immagine what. Use two of them to hold a reel of something?

That pair of pliers just wants oiling. I have a set like that somewhere. The notch in the pivot area is for sheering small bolts.

1 minute ago, Tennentslager said:

I was gifted these when I was an apprentice in 1982. Anyone know what they are for?

extremely-tool-berg-eskilstuna-sweden_1_63409de3052637d315acea43c1aca709.jpg

Fencing?  Looks like there is a hammer head to bang in wire staples and the pliers grip is for pulling wire.  To tension the wire you grip it and bend it back on itself, using the curve of the grip bit a bit like a claw hammer?

Alternatively is there any chance they could be a farriers tool?  A combined tool for both banging in and clinching over the nails used to fasten shoes?

These old Berg tools are from Sweden and have a few quality features. Firstly the curved handles are ergonomic and intended so that you can open and close the jaws by dipping you 4th and 5th fingers. The curve of the pliers are ideal and you grab the shoe upper and rock on the hammer using leverage to get it nice and tight. Pop a nail in place with your free hand let go and use the hammer to chap home....and repeat...

They are beautifully balanced and easy to spin around a la a gunslinger from a Western??

They are called lasting pliers. Most shoemakers will have three pair s of different sizes with the small ones having a narrow clamp, maybe 4/5mm across. These are used for going around the toe area to make nice neat little pleats.

Edited by Tennentslager

48 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Top clamp thing is a fly tying vice

Thanks.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

That pair of pliers just wants oiling. 

I take it WD40 would be my best friend for this?

I don't use WD on tools as it evaporates. I use a wax that is designed for garden tools and a green scourer to work it into the rusty stuff and it leaves a nice layer of protection on the tools. 

3 in 1 on any moving joints and job done - although my AC oil can is currently full of EP90 as it was the only stuff I had ..!

I renovated a pile of old tools I rescued from a bin years ago, that had all gone rusty as the bin was half full of water.  I'd chucked them all in an old paint tin, filled it with engine oil and left it (and forgot about it for around 15 years).  The tools were good quality (government ones from the 1950s, like King Dicks) and around three or four years ago I found the tin and started cleaning them up.  A few minutes with a wire brush in a drill cleaned them a treat and I then waxed them with some beeswax I happened to have around and buffed them.  The plain steel handles were covered with black heat shrink sleeving and with a bit of fettling (like sharpening up the various side cutters) I've ended up with loads of really nice to use tools.  I'll try and take some photos tomorrow, as I've been using some of them.  Some of the most useful are some double lever side cutters and parallel jaw double lever pliers, lovely things that probably cost the government an arm and a leg when they were new.

I've still got some of my dads tools that he had as an apprentice - lovely lead working tools and stuff like proper chisels. 

I've just handed on a set of stillsons to my eldest which I reckon must be 60 years old if not older