USB3.0 / Ubuntu

Onoff

My lad has given me some films on a USB3.0 128GB memory stick.

It shows up OK in the wife's Win 7 desktop

In my laptop running Zorin 12 32-bit (Ubuntu base) it won't mount, when I try I get this message:

128.thumb.png.5dd114d8d77ae0374facb82867dc8329.png

Which is a pain as this lappy lives by the tv on which I want to watch the stuff!

The stand alone media player won't see it either.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

copy them to the Win7 laptop and then reformat the USB key and put them back

The man from the north speaks correctly - but you might ask your boy how he created an EXFAT format on what must be a recent USB key. MS used EXFAT from about 10 years back and I think they keep some of the 'secrets' to themselves. Other formats are faster these days anyway.

I've found that some flavours of Linux are OK'ish with ExFAT, some aren't.  Mint is sort of OK and will read an ExFAT USB stick OK, but throws a wobbly when trying to write to it.  I only have one ExFAT formatted USB stick, solely because it's the only format that works for large USB sticks with Windows XP, and I still have a Win XP netbook.

@PeterW's suggestion is the one I use when this happens, but I'll copy the files across to a stick that's formatted with something like NTFS, as that seems to work with most newer Windows systems and every Linux system I've tried it with.  I try not to have any sticks formatted to something like ext3 or ext4 unless I have to, as it's a pain loading stuff to Windows to allow them to work.

1 minute ago, MikeSharp01 said:

The man from the north speaks correctly - but you might ask your boy how he created an EXFAT format on what must be a recent USB key. MS used EXFAT from about 10 years back and I think they keep some of the 'secrets' to themselves. Other formats are faster these days anyway.

ExFAT is pretty much the only way to get something like a 64Gb USB stick to work with Windows XP, I've found.  May be why this USB stick is formatted this way.

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Cheers all. Going to try and reformat it NTFS. In the back of my mind there's a reason why it's exFAT...

The only reason for it being ExFAT usually is because it's too big a USB stick for Windows XP to natively read/write.  XP was limited to FAT32, IIRC, so wouldn't handle large USB sticks, at least that's why I have a 64Gb stick that's formatted to ExFAT, simply for transferring stuff to an XP machine.

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

The only reason for it being ExFAT usually is because it's too big a USB stick for Windows XP to natively read/write.  XP was limited to FAT32, IIRC, so wouldn't handle large USB sticks, at least that's why I have a 64Gb stick that's formatted to ExFAT, simply for transferring stuff to an XP machine.

XP is quite happy with NTFS which should comfortably do 128GB

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

XP is quite happy with NTFS which should comfortably do 128GB

That's weird, as I had to format the 64Gb drive I have to ExFAT, specifically to get it to work with my netbook that runs XP.  I'll have a play tomorrow to see what's going on, as having that stick formatted as ExFAT is a PITA.