EPS beads in timber frame?

bissoejosh

I've been watching some of the Charlie Luxton build blog videos and have to say his house looks fantastic.

I noticed he used I-Beams fixed externally to his block work wall and then chose to full fill them with pumped insulation. What interested me was his decision to use EPS beads instead of Cellulose.

My question is does anyone have experience of using EPS beads in purely timber frame construction and how does this compare with pumped cellulose which is our current plan?

Thanks

Edited by bissoejosh
Irrelevant content

I think that is the system beattie passive use

Cavity Insulation

Beattie Passive is the only company to have a continuous Passivhaus system (from ground floor, to walls to roof). Our patented system enables the insulation to flow around the whole structure and means there are no gaps or joints.

High performance cavity insulation is applied on-site by skilled installers to guarantee the delivery of a continuous insulated building that is tested by thermal imaging. Due to our unique patent we are the only company who can deliver continuous insulation around a building.

The injected EPS Eco-bead insulation is made up of small round balls stuck together with a water based additive – beads: 98% steam and 2% recycled oil). We used Eco-bead as it doesn’t slump when wet, has high thermal properties and is A rated in the Green.

Air Tightness

Beattie Passive's design methodology details each junction for air tightness and achieves levels of 0.60m3/hm2 (@50pa).

The system has continuous insulation within the walls, floor and roof, guaranteeing Passivhaus standards and significantly outperforming SIPs and other build systems. All structures are independently air tested and thermally imaged to provide clients the peace of mind that we have delivered the designed performance.

Edited by lizzie
add text

8 minutes ago, lizzie said:

I think that is the system beattie passive use

Cavity Insulation

Beattie Passive is the only company to have a continuous Passivhaus system (from ground floor, to walls to roof). Our patented system enables the insulation to flow around the whole structure and means there are no gaps or joints.

High performance cavity insulation is applied on-site by skilled installers to guarantee the delivery of a continuous insulated building that is tested by thermal imaging. Due to our unique patent we are the only company who can deliver continuous insulation around a building.

The injected EPS Eco-bead insulation is made up of small round balls stuck together with a water based additive – beads: 98% steam and 2% recycled oil). We used Eco-bead as it doesn’t slump when wet, has high thermal properties and is A rated in the Green.

Air Tightness

Beattie Passive's design methodology details each junction for air tightness and achieves levels of 0.60m3/hm2 (@50pa).

The system has continuous insulation within the walls, floor and roof, guaranteeing Passivhaus standards and significantly outperforming SIPs and other build systems. All structures are independently air tested and thermally imaged to provide clients the peace of mind that we have delivered the designed performance.

Thanks, I hadn't see that before. Certainly suggests its possible and a lot of the advantages are similar to cellulose.

22 minutes ago, bissoejosh said:

My question is does anyone have experience of using EPS beads in purely timber frame construction and how does this compare with pumped cellulose which is our current plan?

The only downside is likely to be a decrease in the 'decrement delay', or the ability to reduce/delay sun heat transferring through the structure and possibly causing overheating in summer. If the façade is of brick or dense block this would reduce/eliminate the risk. I am assuming that you have a cavity construction. If a lightweight 'solid' construction with render the risk would be increased.

I have frequently encountered brick/cavity/timber frame walls incorrectly filled with eps beads (it invalidates the usual CIGA guarantee) but never experienced any technical failure so I would not expect any problems where you retain a void cavity.

42 minutes ago, bissoejosh said:

Decrement delay is certainly something to consider but if there is no BBA cert as per @Simplysimon then that decides it! I wonder what the issue is given polystyrene is such a common insulating product.

@bissoejosh, do you have a BBA cert for pumped cellulose?

I recall from our discussions with Beattie the beads are BBA cert, fireproof and rot proof as well as acceptable for NHBC etc

Beattie uses this system in all the social housing it does and its big in that sector.  Think it is a tried and tested system.

They say they have a patented system, that patent is not on the bead system but in some part of the joint to create the continous insulation envelope that they offer as their USP.

Beads can used by anyone........ checking back on my beattie notes try looking at.......www.springvale.com .......think they are Derby area and website lists certs for the product. If I remember correctly they supply Beattie

We have beads from JJ Crump - was very quick and efficient. 

Can’t see why you couldn’t use it for TF but you may need to have OSB both sides or at least have the plasterboard fitted before they install.