Structural engineer

Hi I’m looking at the moment for structural engineers to design my foundation system 

can anybody tell me the sort of costs you have paid. 

I know tanners do a lot of the passive slabs used by people on here, what sort of cost did you incur for this. 

Also @recoveringacademic I believe you had to have a ground improvement system, who designed this and was it part of your slab or was it two different companies. 

Thanks everyone. 

Isoquick have just quoted for my raft. 

£550+vat as an extra for structural engineer design

I don't know if this is in an in house engineer or who they sub the work out to. Will find out in the coming days as I am also yet to get a SE onboard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Hi I’m looking at the moment for structural engineers to design my foundation system 

can anybody tell me the sort of costs you have paid. 

I know tanners do a lot of the passive slabs used by people on here, what sort of cost did you incur for this. 

Also @recoveringacademic I believe you had to have a ground improvement system, who designed this and was it part of your slab or was it two different companies. 

Thanks everyone. 

Mine charged 280 plus for the foundation drawings 

and a further 60 for Steels and lintels 

Robert Sparks (RSE). Preston

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Bloody hell thats cheap. 

Yes he’s someone Ives used in the past

Hes really good

Also the local authority turn to him for consultant work

So BC don’t question anything that he proposes 

16 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

[...] @recoveringacademic I believe you had to have a ground improvement system, who designed this and was it part of your slab or was it two different companies. 

Hilliard designed the slab, and these people designed and put the ground improvement columns in here is the blog post about it.

The company  were very particular about our soil profile, in addition to our separately commissioned  report, they got me to dig three trial pits, then their engineer jumped in and grabbed a few handfuls from the bottom of the hole  to make absolutely sure . 

And I was like a girls blouse about the process.... of putting the piles (ground improvement columns) in. Mercifully, it's unbelievably quick.  

Cost £6500 for 64 piles; time 3 days and four meetings. I visited a site where the company were working to have a look at the process.

I know I've said it before, but it's unbelievably fast.

• Thanks 1

@Plumbersmateuk

Isoquick use and recommend J.Turner & Assoc. I've been chatting with them over the last couple of days and have a quote for all the structural engineering work on my build, £1850+vat

They are regularly designing raft slabs and ICF

I am building a semi detached with some details that require extra work. One end is retaining, the other joins a neighbouring property. Plus there will be some strip foundations in close proximity to the raft. Nothing too complex but the extra work is clearly reflected in the quote.